Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
10-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Slugs!

I found a website that sells copper rings that are supposed to deter slugs. They get a sort of electric shock if they touch the copper so they don't bother trying to cross the barrier.

We bought some of these and they really seem to be very effective (although expensive!) The lupins and dahlias are flourishing now instead of being chomped by the slugs. The company is called Slugrings (!) and their service was really fast. I placed an order one Friday evening, got an email the next day saying the rings had been dispatched, and they arrived on Tuesday.

I think I'm going to buy some more!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #2

Re: Slugs!

Good to know they work MrsH. I bought some of the copper impregnated matting one year and I am afraid to say I didn't find that worked at all.

I think that once Smudgely's chicks grow, she could rent them out at slug exterminators. Best method of control I've ever found was when I let chickens roam the garden!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #3

Slugs! Ugh!
I've heard good things about the copper rings too - maybe I'll get some, though I tend not to grow the slug-delicacies like lupin. Maybe some clever person will develop a compost or mulch with the copper properties to deter the monsters.
Has anyone used nematodes (biological control)?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #4

Have you tried the saucer full of beer remedy? (Waste of good beer!)