Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
22-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #1

Cat and kitten food?

I have been buying cat and kitten wet meat and biscuits but the cats seem to eat each others food all the time.

Now that Oli has his bad heart murmur I want to make sure that he isn't eating food that it bad for him .... is there any quality biscuits I could buy that would be suitable for Oli as well as the kittens ???

Thanks,

Tanya.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
22-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #2

Re: Cat and kitten food?

There's not a diet that is suitable for both...
It is REALLY important however, that the kittens are indeed fed kitten food and NOT cat food. This ensures that the kittens don't go on to have heart/heath problems when they are older! It won't hurt Oli if he eats a bit of kitten food though... Try feeding them in separate rooms, its sooooo important that the kittens eat kitten food only and not cat food.
I have to feed one of my cats separate from the rest, and lift the other cats food so he can't get at it.
A bit of a hassle, but no way round it...
Hope Oli is doing better, and wishing you and he all the best!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
22-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply!

Oli was fed kitten food until he was about 14 months old - he loved Royal Canin!

Oli and the kittens do eat their wet meat pouches in separate rooms, which is no problem. Its the BISCUITS that I am struggling with!! They always seem to eat each others ... I am worried that kitten biscuits would be too fatty for Oli. I leave them a constant supply of water and biscuits all day every day ... a bowl of kitten biscuits and a bowl of adult cat biscuits!

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
22-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #4

Shouldn't hurt him too much to eat some kitten biscuits...
Just watch his weight lol...
If he does have a murmer, his weight will have to be watched, and not allow him to get too fat on kitten dry food. Even a little bit of weight, can cause strain on his heart!
Though keeping him happy is also important, and no stress...
Kitten food can cause loose poos in adult cats, cause its soooo much richer. And I remember Oli having diarrhea recently...
Again good luck!