Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
15-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

Kitten Gone Off Wet Food

When we got our kitten, the CP lady said that he was on James Wellbeloved dry food and Whiskas wet food so we continued that. The last two weeks however, he's gone off the wet food. He'll go so far as to lick the gravy/jelly off, but he leaves the rest to go dry. We've tried trickle feeding him both the biscuit and the wet food but he simply gobbles up the dry food in a few minutes, then cries for more and ignores the Whiskas when we give it to him.

I'm not sure whether to continue offering him wet food or just accept that he only likes dry food from now on. I can't help but think it's a bit boring for him but if that's what he wants... Do cats go on and off food? Is a dry-only diet as healthy as a mixed one?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

Re: Kitten Gone Off Wet Food

Have you tried your kitten on any other wet food Sugarant? And does your kitten drink water?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #3

I'd maybe try another brand of kitten food.
I personally am not a fan of a dry only diet as i feel it makes the kidneys work too hard even if they do drink water.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
15-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Yes, he drinks quite a bit of water. I haven't tried any other yet because our local pet store doesn't stock any other brand of specific kitten food and I wasn't sure whether ordinary cat food would do. Am very new to cat owning!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
15-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #5

OK.. other food to try!!!
[link removed]

Try Hills or felix or RCW all really good for kittens and all have adult versions to move them onto.... Use our link and it's delivered to your door too with FREE P&P if you orcer over £30 worth of food... easy to do when you know which one they like... so buy some small bags of each in dry & some foils of each in wet and mix them together (wet & dry of same brand) also try a water fountain which will increase his water intake??? (also available from the link)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
15-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #6

I agree about trying other brands ................. you can buy individual sachets of Whiskas or Felix, or supermarket own brands before paying out for the multiple boxes of them. I've always given my cats both wet and dried, and YumYum seems to have settled on Whiskas as her favourite brand of wet food, preferably the gravy ones! It's all a bit trial and error, but I'm sure he'll find one that he likes ............ eventually!

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
16-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #7

Hi there,the JWB dry kitten food that your using is great and used as a complete diet. So no need for other wet type of food.... These foods are cleverly balanced to give everything your kitten needs, and mixing and adding other foods actually unbalances the kittens diet!!!!! So it is best to feed one type of food and stick to it. (Although treats are fine every so often).
I agree with Elaine that there is evidence that dry foods can cause urinary/kidney problems in SOME cats. But wet food also has its downsides, it is full of more rubbish fillers and cats fed on wet food have horrendous dental problems later in life. Though you can brush your cats teeth daily to avoid this (with cats toothpaste, never human toothpaste due to the foaming agent, as cats don't spit out after use lol).
Personally, I would stay away from supermarket shelf food! Stick with the James Wellbeloved brand, or other premium branded cat foods, as the quality of protein in them are better, and ash/phosphorus/magnesium content is lower which is better for kidneys.
Feeding your cat the right cat food can be a minefield, and EVERYBODY has a different opinion on it... Lots of people feed their cats raw meat etc. but there is even problems in doing that taurine/vitamin issues.
Good luck with your new kitten, and choice what feels right for you!!!! Do research on internet to get an overall view on foods, and go with what feels right.
I have three adult cats on James Wellbeloved dry cat food, which is wonderful for them! They are all older cats and have no kidney problems. But my other cat is on wet Royal Canin food mixed with 50% tap water, due to a urinary problem and really he should be keep well away from ALL dry foods. So, I have to brush his teeth everyday cos the wet food was causing really bad dental problems....
I had a cat who was put to sleep at the age of 21,(due to a vet mistake with meds for her) and at the age of 21 her kidneys were great and she had been on dry diet ALL her life. Though Amos is 12 and had many problems with HIS WATER WORKS on dry diet. My point is.... all cats are different and what is good for one may not be good for another. Your kittens health will guide you to the right diet... Though keep away from supermarket shelf, and buy premium from Pets at Home as you are doing with JWB!!!! Sorry post is soooo long, I am a bit of a cat food nazi, and have done ALOT of research....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
16-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #8

My 2 cats are dry-food eaters. As kittens, I found the same problem as the OP, they would lick the gravy or jelly and ignore the meat. I tried various wet foods, all good quality, but eventually gave up the struggle and decided to feed them what I knew they would eat.

Initially they were fed Iams but after a bit of further research we changed them to JWB. They drink well and I have no qualms about their diet. There are quite a few favours in JWB and so they are still getting some variety in what they eat. My advice would be to go with what they enjoy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #9

Bloomin' cat food nazi's are every where

I'm a bit of a CRF nazi myself

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
16-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Bloomin' cat food nazi's are every where

I'm a bit of a CRF nazi myself
Lol, I am a bit of a CRF nazi as well. Though all cat food nazi thoughts are put to one side with a CRF cat. Sometimes it is whatever you can get them to eat when they start refusing food, so as not to develop fatty liver disease. In this case the demon Whiskas is better than them not eating anything...

My brothers cat has CRF, I found Tanya's Feline CRF information centre, fantastic... I am sure you have seen it...

Can tell by your posts Elaine, that you know all about kidney disease in cats