Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #11

Re: Kizzy's Diet

I hear you about eat it today but not tomorrow...
When we had to start Tinky on the ZD we thought we would just give George the ZD as well... seeing the other food made Tinky sick.... well George wouldn't have any of that... he refused to eat... so we had to put him back on his old food and make sure that we kept them apart....
Fussy George didn't want to eat the ZD but that didn't mean that he wouldn't steal some when he got the chance...lol the last laugh is on him... cause i had nearly a full small bag of it left after tinky died... and he's still eating mixed with his own dry food of preference..lol
most of the better dry foods... (hills, RC etc.. offer money back if its not suitable (at least they do here in Australia).. maybe you could try some of the different types both between brands and within the brands to find one that works for Kizzy...then once you have established which ones work try and and find which wet is good for her...maybe some of the main websites (hills , RC etc) have provision to email them to ask which foods would be best for a specific problem

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #12

If you want some 'country wisdom' angie, without an ounce of science behind it, the first thing the old farmers would do for (eg) a calf with 'the scours' would be to reduce the grade of the food. So, from 'growers pellets' (designed to fatten them up), to a sort of 'maintenance diet'.
My boys don't do well on Whiskas. I tend to buy whatever is on offer (as long as it's in jelly not gravy - they don't care for gravy) for their wet food and often just use canned Tesco stuff. It looks OK, they enjoy it and we don't have runny tummies unless somebody overeats. Whiskas is far more likely to give them the runs.

And you're quite right about Feline Wit & Wisdom
Rule 27. Adore a food. Fuss about it. Wolf it down then wash luxuriously for hours. Wait till they buy a 48 pack. Then go off it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
01-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #13

Have you tried her with any of the RC wet foods that you can get now, Maisy has the RC Maine Coon biscuits and the RC Kitten wet, and she has no problems with her bowels and never has had ( touch wood ).
It was just a thought if Kizzy does like the RC dry she might like the RC wet, they have I think about 5 different wet varietys.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
If you want some 'country wisdom' angie, without an ounce of science behind it, the first thing the old farmers would do for (eg) a calf with 'the scours' would be to reduce the grade of the food. So, from 'growers pellets' (designed to fatten them up), to a sort of 'maintenance diet'.
My boys don't do well on Whiskas. I tend to buy whatever is on offer (as long as it's in jelly not gravy - they don't care for gravy) for their wet food and often just use canned Tesco stuff. It looks OK, they enjoy it and we don't have runny tummies unless somebody overeats. Whiskas is far more likely to give them the runs.

And you're quite right about Feline Wit & Wisdom
Rule 27. Adore a food. Fuss about it. Wolf it down then wash luxuriously for hours. Wait till they buy a 48 pack. Then go off it.
Lol, that is Leia to a T !!! But when Onyx was here, no problem, she would eat anything, so at least it didn't go to waste.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #15

OK - further Q - do you guys have any ideas re time scales? I know that the more chopping and changing her food the more likely she is to have upset tummy. So how long would you try one type of food before moving on to the next if it does not have the desired effect? That being firm poos with "ordinary" smell and no looseness.

Kizzy is not helping with this because sometimes she is loose and sometimes not - but she is ALWAYS smelly (poor lass).

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #16

I think, if it was me, I'd do a 3 day fish and rice sort of exclusion episode. Clear all the previous stuff out of her system.
After that? That's when it gets more difficult! Try the commercial food (wet and dry) which appears to have suited her best, for a week?
I agree that chopping and changing isn't the best idea.
Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #17

That makes good sense DM. I'll give that a go.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #18

I really think its going to be a case of trial and error.I would suggest keeping a food diary if I were you..so you can see what happens with regard to what food and timescale.... thats how I found out Cleo had "upset stomach/sickness" after milk...and also after dried food...However if she were a dog I would suggest a food like Chappie...but I agree actually with DM and would try a really cheap cat food....bargain buys...own brand Cleo and Oscar both adored "Asda's own brand cat food" and I used it quite a bit as Oscar got a bit worse with his kidneys... as we have no idea do we what she has been eating so maybe the richer the food the worse the stomach.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #19

Just a thought have you tried giving Kizzy a little bit of yogurtI do wonder though if it is stress related.....it started shortly after her long journey .

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #20

Just one more thought whilst I was in the shower (curry night tonight)
Do you think this wind/runs issue might just be Kizzie's (very mild) stress reaction to not being allowed out? I assume she was free ranging before CP and I assume she will be allowed out after a while Angie (eek - scarey; I'm with you on that one). Maybe it's just a mild symptom of Cabin Fever?