Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

Kizzy's Diet

OK - before you start reading this can I remind you that my lovely old Merlin had been eating more or less the same senior food for absolutely ages and so I have forgotten more than I care to admit about normal adult cat feeding.

At the CP, Smudgely tells me that she was eating RC kibbles (not sure which variety) and Felix. Her foster mother told me that the wet food made her runny, so then she was eating only kibble.

Before we got her home, she started with the very smelly wind, which you all know about - good thing we don't have "smellapc" yet! When we got her home, she seemed fine to continue with kibble (which was a right mixture of stuff I'd had in a tin for quite a while) but I had in mind to change her diet to what I considered to be a good one - Nature's Menu wet and Applaws dry. But after her windy problem I went to the shop and bought a trial bag of RC Digestive Comfort - anything I thought to myself that would help her tummy to settle down. She loved the RC and ate it in preference to the Applaws or the wet food and of course, being a small bag, it ran out quite quickly. Then on Tuesday evening she was very runny and also yesterday morning, so I withdrew all food and just made sure she had fresh water, which she was drinking. But yesterday afternoon poor lass was obviously very hungry, so I poached her some white fish which she polished off. Later in the evening she was still hungry and so frantic rummaging in the cupboard and I came up with 2 sachets of Almo Nature, one chicken and one chicken and cheese and tried her on the chicken. (Merlin wouldn't touch it!) Kizzy however loved it and ate the whole sachet before going off to sleep with, I hoped, a comfier tummy. Her poo this morning was firm (although horribly smelly!) and she ate the chicken and cheese for breakfast. My online order for the RC Digestive Comfort arrived mid morning and before I had unpacked it, Kizzy was there and so had some more of that. She seems to be a different little cat now, full of play and energy - we will see if this continues, as I have to say that her lack of energy was worrying me as I thought a young cat would be more playful and active for at least a few hours per day.

So, we have been out and bought more of the Almo Nature. Is it possible that a higher protein food can upset a cat's digestive system, although one might think that it was actually a better food?

Sorry this is long and rambling - I think I'd better go through it all before I submit!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #2

Re: Kizzy's Diet

It was long - but not terribly rambling Angie; at least I found it interesting.

My only practical experience is that I stopped feeding Whiskas Kitten (wet) and went onto Adult because the kitten (and presumably high protein) food had a fierce effect on the belly. That was a while ago - not with my current chaps, or the two girls before them, if I remember correctly. However, i'm sure I've seen posts here from people with kiittens with runny botts, who've been advised to go adult.

I'm pleased to heat Kizzy's tum is (generally) better. If she is producing foul wind she could well have stomach gripes too and not feel like playing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #3

I found it interesting also. I'm really not competent to comment on this as I've been fortunate enough that none of mine have ever had digestive and bowel problems. Picky eaters and non picky ones alike have been spared that. I guess it comes down to trial and error, finding one that both suits her and doesn't cause problems. Wish I could be more helpful. BTW, did you try the charcoal, would she eat it and did it help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
30-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #4

If she seems fine with the RC Digestive Comfort and the Almo Nature I would stick with them, I think sometimes if you mess about to much with changing their food about that can cause them to have problems with their tummys and bowels.
So if she likes them I would stay with them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
30-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #5

I had one cat who wouldn't do on high protein foods at all. It made him very upset, with runny and foul poos.

I have had a few dogs who got very smelly on expensive, high protein foods. One also was very runny to the extent she was on antibiotics as vet was convinced it must have been infection.

I try to vary diets a little so that they don't become too fussy. But, if you have found a core of foods that she likes, and that agree with her then, I'd try to keep her on these 'core' foods, and once she is stabilised then I'd try introducing new foods one at a time.

Glad to hear she seems to have a bit more oomph.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #6

I've recently re-introduced Balie (12 y/o male) to wet food after almost a lifetime of dry because he was loosing weight.

He is tollerating Whiskas senior and RC Oral Mature but each time I feed him Applaws wet he gets the most awful runs.

I think the thing is to go with what works. It is, and always has been trial and error as there are so may foods on the market.

My personal feeling is that Royal Canin really does provide excellent nutritional balance (OK, I know not everyone will agree, but I can only go with almost 12 years of personal experience), and if special dietary requirements are needed they can usually cater for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
30-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
OK - before you start reading this can I remind you that my lovely old Merlin had been eating more or less the same senior food for absolutely ages and so I have forgotten more than I care to admit about normal adult cat feeding.

At the CP, Smudgely tells me that she was eating RC kibbles (not sure which variety) and Felix. Her foster mother told me that the wet food made her runny, so then she was eating only kibble.

Before we got her home, she started with the very smelly wind, which you all know about - good thing we don't have "smellapc" yet! When we got her home, she seemed fine to continue with kibble (which was a right mixture of stuff I'd had in a tin for quite a while) but I had in mind to change her diet to what I considered to be a good one - Nature's Menu wet and Applaws dry. But after her windy problem I went to the shop and bought a trial bag of RC Digestive Comfort - anything I thought to myself that would help her tummy to settle down. She loved the RC and ate it in preference to the Applaws or the wet food and of course, being a small bag, it ran out quite quickly. Then on Tuesday evening she was very runny and also yesterday morning, so I withdrew all food and just made sure she had fresh water, which she was drinking. But yesterday afternoon poor lass was obviously very hungry, so I poached her some white fish which she polished off. Later in the evening she was still hungry and so frantic rummaging in the cupboard and I came up with 2 sachets of Almo Nature, one chicken and one chicken and cheese and tried her on the chicken. (Merlin wouldn't touch it!) Kizzy however loved it and ate the whole sachet before going off to sleep with, I hoped, a comfier tummy. Her poo this morning was firm (although horribly smelly!) and she ate the chicken and cheese for breakfast. My online order for the RC Digestive Comfort arrived mid morning and before I had unpacked it, Kizzy was there and so had some more of that. She seems to be a different little cat now, full of play and energy - we will see if this continues, as I have to say that her lack of energy was worrying me as I thought a young cat would be more playful and active for at least a few hours per day.

So, we have been out and bought more of the Almo Nature. Is it possible that a higher protein food can upset a cat's digestive system, although one might think that it was actually a better food?

Sorry this is long and rambling - I think I'd better go through it all before I submit!
She was having felix wet & Royal Canin sensible dry when she was with me, her motions were fine whilst here.
She should have been on the same food with her fosterer Vicky, but sounds like Vicky stopped the wet food.

Catsey Veteran

30-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

I hope you didn't think I was in any way criticising, Smudgley. I am really just trying to find a diet that suits Kizzy's tummy which still seems to have a way to go before it's settled. Merlin was fed for years and years on Felix senior wet food without problem. I had not tried RC before at all.

I'm just trying for a balance that suits her.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #9

good that you have found something Angie....its funny though how it can be trial and error most of the time..
Harri i think has a cast iron belly.. since ive had her she mainly eats the hills kitten food dry.. but she's had wet kitten food and even smelly fishy adult cat food when she was all snuffy with the flu in an effort to get her to eat..all with no any problems ....but i decided before i got her that my next cat was going to have a mixture of wet and dry... even if it just meant having wet once a week as a treat.. (tinky was on Dry all his life and wouldn't touch wet food)
Some of the higher protein foods can cause the runs... sometimes because there is a protein allergy.. (thats what Tinky had) His inital symptoms were flatulence, sloppy bowel motions... (about the consistency of ....a bit like melting soft serve... sorry for that analogy... but it's about the best descriptor) and towards the endo f the period right before he was diagnosed with the protein allergy... vomiting bile ... it would be interesting to see the protein stats on the foods that have made her bowel motions lose compared with the ones that haven't... in the event that they are about the same it could be the way the proteins are prepared..The food that Tinky was on was Hills prescription diet ZD... that was actually quite high in protein... but it was hydrolized proteins.. which are broken down to an easily digestable state..

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #10

You know what I said yesterday? And we'd been out and bought 12 more sachets???? I KNOW that was one things in "the things that cats learn" thread! She won't eat it today! She's been runny again but has eaten a plateful of Felix supermeat - luckily I have quite a lot of that in the store cupboard! What's the betting she won't eat that tomorrow?

It is very interesting about that several of you have had "experiences" with high protein food or different types of protein. I wonder where I go from here ...... any more help or info would be appreciated.