Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #1

Stated % of protein in typical analysis

OK - here is a very specific question about the percentage of protein that is stated on cat food packaging in their analysis.

I have checked on all the different packets that I currently have in the cupboard and find the following:

Iams Senior 8%
P&H supermeat 8%
Felix jelly and supermeat varieties 8.5%
Sainsbury's Perfectly Meaty 10%
Nature's Menu 11%
Almo nature 11.5%

I do understand that there is still debate as to whether a low protein diet is best for CRF cats, but on Tanya's CRF website, it is stated "Aim for 20-25% protein - never go below 20%." I think you can see my problem - and I suspect that it has to do with how the percentages have been calculated.

Can anyone help me understand this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
10-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #2

Re: Stated % of protein in typical analysis

Sorry I can`t help with that one, I keep wondering myself about Maxi`s food for his urinary problem at the moment as it seems low in certain things and higher in other things I find it all abit confusing because as I kitten I am thinking well he needs various things to grow etc. that this special prescription food hasn`t got in but the vet has said to continue with it, don`t know wether I am doing right from wrong at times. .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

No sorry, I can't help at all on that subject.
I agree that it is all hideously complicated - maybe over-complicated?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #4

Hiya Angie, the reason that the protein content in food for crf cats is a controversial one is because the tests were all ran on dogs and rats, cats being obligate carnivours they need a higher protein content.
http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1770&aid=667
Reading and understanding what it says on the tin can become a complicated issue but i hope the above links can help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
10-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #5

If it is wet food there is a calculation to find out actual protein percentage. I believe you have to convert it into dry matter first. The equation escapes me now but I'll try to find it.

Catsey Veteran

10-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks, but my problem really is (I'm not explaining this well) - on Tanya's CRF website, she says that the % of protein in the food should not fall below 20% BUT all the foods that I have looked at have a range of between 8 - 11/5%

I am assuming therefore that there is a difference in assessing the % between what is stated on the website and the actual % in the analysis quoted on the food packages themselves.

Here is the website - the bit that is confusing me is under the heading Protein, towards the end of that section.

Page load error again on the link: http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm

Catsey Veteran

10-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #7

If a dry cat food has 10% moisture we know that it has 90% dry matter. So we look at the label and check the protein level that reads 20%. Next, we divide the 20 percent protein by the 90% dry matter and we get 22%, which is the amount of protein on a dry matter basis. Does this make sense so far? Good. Now let us compare this to canned food that has 80% moisture. We know that with 80% moisture we have 20% dry matter. The label shows 5% protein. So we take the 5% and divide it by 20% and we get 25% protein on a dry matter basis. So the canned food has more protein per pound on a dry matter basis after all the water is taken out. We can do the same for fat, fiber, etc.

Catsey Veteran

10-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #8

That's amazing Elaine. And us mere mortals are meant to know how to do that????? (Maths were never my strong point you know.)

I'm going to copy that and see if I can do the sums!

Catsey Veteran

10-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #9

Easy when you know how

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
10-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
If a dry cat food has 10% moisture we know that it has 90% dry matter. So we look at the label and check the protein level that reads 20%. Next, we divide the 20 percent protein by the 90% dry matter and we get 22%, which is the amount of protein on a dry matter basis. Does this make sense so far? Good. Now let us compare this to canned food that has 80% moisture. We know that with 80% moisture we have 20% dry matter. The label shows 5% protein. So we take the 5% and divide it by 20% and we get 25% protein on a dry matter basis. So the canned food has more protein per pound on a dry matter basis after all the water is taken out. We can do the same for fat, fiber, etc.
That's what I was looking for..thank you!