Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #11

Re: Special food for Pedigree breeds...

Posh eats Whiskas/Sheba but has a bowl of specially-for-Persians kibble for the same reasons as Yola mentions re. furballing. Also, Ma'am will eat chicken and ham from one's hand,of course!
Didnt realise about the kidneys, will have to monitor the salt intake.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
25-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattde
I will be moving to RC Maine Coon food soon, I have heard good things and bad things about it. I think a good mixture of food is the key. I have heard of people complaining the RC makes the cats coat too greasy. I will also be trying Almo Nature Holistic dry food, it gets good reports.
Matt I was just wondering what do you feed your 2 at the moment?

Maxi is on the RC urinary S/O at the moment due to the crystals that showed in his urine (wich last test had a clear test) , he also has a bit of the Applaws chicken mixed in with it otherwise he dosen`t eat much of it, and just has a little bit of the RC kitten dry kibble as treats.

Maisy has the RC kitten wet pouches with RC kitten kibble, she also has some Applaws chicken mixed in.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
25-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesy
Matt I was just wondering what do you feed your 2 at the moment?

Maxi is on the RC urinary S/O at the moment due to the crystals that showed in his urine (wich last test had a clear test) , he also has a bit of the Applaws chicken mixed in with it otherwise he dosen`t eat much of it, and just has a little bit of the RC kitten dry kibble as treats.

Maisy has the RC kitten wet pouches with RC kitten kibble, she also has some Applaws chicken mixed in.
In my last post i said i will be moving to, think i meant moving from lol.

At the moment I feed them RC Kitten 36 , just finishing the last of the 10KG bag. I have some Almo Nature Holistic on order so I will let you know what they think of that. I've heard its good stuff. They have the dry food out 24 hours a day.

For wet food they get Felix or something else that's on special offer. I don't see much point paying loads of money for wet food.

Treat wise they have fresh fish, fresh meat , tuna from the can for Myrtle . Marmalade only like fresh tuna

I try to keep an eye on salt intake but its hard

Catsey Veteran

25-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
In my last post i said i will be moving to, think i meant moving from lol.

At the moment I feed them RC Kitten 36 , just finishing the last of the 10KG bag. I have some Almo Nature Holistic on order so I will let you know what they think of that. I've heard its good stuff. They have the dry food out 24 hours a day.

For wet food they get Felix or something else that's on special offer. I don't see much point paying loads of money for wet food.

Treat wise they have fresh fish, fresh meat , tuna from the can for Myrtle . Marmalade only like fresh tuna

I try to keep an eye on salt intake but its hard
I have got some of the new Applaws dry food for them that is 80% meat and does not contain any of the cereals alot of dried food seem to have in them.
They have had a few little nibbles and love them, but they do both have wet for the most because of Maxi`s urinary complaint, but once he has had the all clear for a couple of months I am hoping to get them to eat abit more dry food

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
25-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #15

Quote:
I have got some of the new Applaws dry food for them that is 80% meat and does not contain any of the cereals alot of dried food seem to have in them.
They have had a few little nibbles and love them, but they do both have wet for the most because of Maxi`s urinary complaint, but once he has had the all clear for a couple of months I am hoping to get them to eat abit more dry food
The applaws sounds good. do checkout the Almo Nature i think that's cereal free.

How did you notice Maxi`s urinary complaint , my two have enclosed turdis litter trays so i don't see the numbers 1's

Hope Maxi gets sorted soon.

Catsey Veteran

25-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
The applaws sounds good. do checkout the Almo Nature i think that's cereal free.

How did you notice Maxi`s urinary complaint , my two have enclosed turdis litter trays so i don't see the numbers 1's

Hope Maxi gets sorted soon.
Yes I will certainly check out the Almo Nature, thanks .

I noticed Maxi`s urinary complaint while having to check his poops , dosen`t sound nice I know but when you love these kitties you will do anything to help them .
Cut a long story short when we fist got Maxi he had very loose stools for about a day and then I noticed streaks of red blood in them, he was still eating fine no probs there but took him to the vets, they said it was Colitus and said to change his food to Hills I/D dry, and started him of on antibiotics wich cleared up the blood but didn`t form his stools so they started him off on steriods wich firmed them up but they were never like they should be really and he had been on them since with the odd flair up like when he was neuterd, so I was basically checking his poops to make sure there was not any blood in them, that was when I noticed that when he had piddled it was stained pinky which meant he had blood in his urine, so back off to the vets for tests and the likes another change of diet to the RC S/O , antibiotics, increase in Steroids and Cystease tabs, he was abit like a junky .
But now his crystals have cleared and his bowels on the RC are the best they have ever been they are just perfect LOL and he isn`t even on the steroids any more Which leads me to believe that it was the Hills I/D that was intsead of making his tummy better was probably upsetting it
So there you go you asked for it LOL, oh by the way we have a hooded Turdis as well

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
25-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes I will certainly check out the Almo Nature, thanks .

I noticed Maxi`s urinary complaint while having to check his poops , dosen`t sound nice I know but when you love these kitties you will do anything to help them .
Cut a long story short when we fist got Maxi he had very loose stools for about a day and then I noticed streaks of red blood in them, he was still eating fine no probs there but took him to the vets, they said it was Colitus and said to change his food to Hills I/D dry, and started him of on antibiotics wich cleared up the blood but didn`t form his stools so they started him off on steriods wich firmed them up but they were never like they should be really and he had been on them since with the odd flair up like when he was neuterd, so I was basically checking his poops to make sure there was not any blood in them, that was when I noticed that when he had piddled it was stained pinky which meant he had blood in his urine, so back off to the vets for tests and the likes another change of diet to the RC S/O , antibiotics, increase in Steroids and Cystease tabs, he was abit like a junky .
But now his crystals have cleared and his bowels on the RC are the best they have ever been they are just perfect LOL and he isn`t even on the steroids any more Which leads me to believe that it was the Hills I/D that was intsead of making his tummy better was probably upsetting it
So there you go you asked for it LOL, oh by the way we have a hooded Turdis as well
The joys of cat ownership, good to hear things have worked out in the end.

Catsey Veteran

25-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #18

Thanks Matt, I must admit I am sooooo relieved it is like he is a different cat as he went really quiet after he was neuterd which we thought was down to being done, but now everything is sorted out he is like a different cat always wanting to play which leads me to think he must have been feeling really uncomfortable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #19

Matt, one of the symptoms of cystitis in females is constantly going to the box and just weeing a few drops...as often as 3 - 4 times in 10 minutes. There was no apparent blood in her urine, but when I took her to the vet she was so frightened she weed right on the examining table, and it was pinkish. Fortunately it was inflammation, not infection, so cleared up nicely. She is on about 90% wet food, just a little bit of dry to avoid any future flareups.

Catsey Veteran

25-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Matt, one of the symptoms of cystitis in females is constantly going to the box and just weeing a few drops...as often as 3 - 4 times in 10 minutes. There was no apparent blood in her urine, but when I took her to the vet she was so frightened she weed right on the examining table, and it was pinkish. Fortunately it was inflammation, not infection, so cleared up nicely. She is on about 90% wet food, just a little bit of dry to avoid any future flareups.
That is hopefully what I want to get Maxi onto once we have had another all clear for crystals about 90% wet and the rest dry