Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #1

Special food for Pedigree breeds...

I have 4 Pedigree cats, never ever used special food for their breed, they just eat ordinary food...Does any think these special food are better for Pedigree Cats....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

Re: Special food for Pedigree breeds...

Have I rattled you Pat? Sorry, didnt mean to, just typing out loud

With respect to the debate though, I wouldnt know, having never had a pedigree.
All I know is that I have turned my cats into fussy eaters in my strive to find them a good diet and now all they will eat is the very food that many say is crap, but they have to eat dont they?

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #3

No you have not rattled me Elaine, its something I have thought abou often, just wanted peoples views.....

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Have I rattled you Pat? Sorry, didnt mean to, just typing out loud

With respect to the debate though, I wouldnt know, having never had a pedigree.
All I know is that I have turned my cats into fussy eaters in my strive to find them a good diet and now all they will eat is the very food that many say is crap, but they have to eat dont they?
If they like it and its doing them no harm, I would give it to them...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

not sure about cats, but when the breed specific dog diets were introduced I thought how silly, it will be all the same food just in different packaging but it's not. They take into account things like with the labrador diet, they're greedy and therefore they use a low calorie, high density food that gives the dog the idea he's full up! The GSD diets are fantastic, most GSD's are fussy, this is taken care of with the very palatable diet, they usually poo loads ( ) this too is catered for, with the speed the food travells trough the gut and They also have a sensitive digestive sysem and even this is taken care of in the digestibility of the product.
I really love the dog breed specific diets, so I'm sure the same process has gone into the cat ones.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #6

I've never tried breed specific foods...both my pedigrees and moggys ate/eat Fancy Feast. Whenever I try to get Leia to eat one of the more nutritious brands she spurns it. Just tried a Newman's own (at $1.49 per 3 oz tin!!) of chicken and rice and she hated it. Same with the Whole Foods brands and the Royal Canin the vet recommended. Now, I've created a fussy eater too, but she eats and is healthy, so I'm sticking with FF.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

I think there may be some value in it as some cats do display particular health characteristics that can be to some extent abated by a special diet. Take for instance Persians; their kibble enables the 'fast transit' of fur through the digestive system; there is even a more extreme variant for cats who have problems with furball blockages (as you may remember Darcy did). Obviously for a long and dense haired cat this is of value. The Persian food also factors in ingredients to protect against kidney diseases - something they tend to suffer with.

My cats seem to respond positively to the food - in terms of preference and health (no proof however that this may not have also been the case with non-breed-specific diets).

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll's and Moggies
17-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #8

I have both a pedigree Ragdoll and moggies in my home and they all eat the same food.

I do buy a high quality food, usually Iams unless it's out of stock which it often is, simply because I fell that the higher quality food will have better nutritional value.

I don't bother with the breed specific as I can't really see what benifit it would have, a cat is a cat afetr all!

Plus my cats all mix and match food bowls and eat each other's food so it wouldn't work in my house anyway.

I would be interested to know if anyone does use breed specific food and found any benifit from it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
17-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #9

I will be moving to RC Maine Coon food soon, I have heard good things and bad things about it. I think a good mixture of food is the key. I have heard of people complaining the RC makes the cats coat too greasy. I will also be trying Almo Nature Holistic dry food, it gets good reports.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
17-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #10

I see they do one for BSH's now, but I think I'll be sticking with TD for our lump as she has dodgy teeth. although she was tucking in to a plate of Pheasent this morning!