Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 short hair black rescues!
Wilki31 is Male
19-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #11

Re: Weight

We took our cat Katie for an MOT yesterday, which she passed with flying colours, except for her weight!

She's 9 and weighs 6.01Kg. Our vet suggested introducing mince fish or chicken (all raw) as a substitue for senior cat food and to include chicken bones as well. I can see the fish going down a treat but I'm not sure about the chicken.

We give her some Go Cat biscuits on a night but the vet says this does contain quite a bit of salt and fat, so we're cutting back.

The experiment starts tonight, I'm not sure she'll take to it but we'll weight, err, wait and see!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #12

Good luck with Katie, changing an older cat's diet can be quite tricky. Small changes rather than wholesale swapping of feeds is the key.

RCR - I hope Dylan's not overeating

Cats owned: Tortoiseshell DSH
21-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #13

Hi

Went to the vet with Cactus for a check-up this a.m as she was quite poorly yesterday. Anyhow, she is nearly 6kg and vet said she is overweight and needs to loose 1kg. They can tell by the obvious; weighing, also feeling from the back around the tummy, apparently you should be able to feel their rib cage, also no saggy belly, that Cactus has. So, the vet was worried as being an overweight cat can obviously bring lots of health risks. Cactus is on the Royal Canin obesity diet of dry and wet food (vet has recommended how much to give and I've got a list). Also lots of excercise as Cactus doesn't much like going outside, although she's gots lots of lovely fields etc. to explore, so I have to work on her in the summer in being a bit more of an outdoor cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
22-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Good luck with Katie, changing an older cat's diet can be quite tricky. Small changes rather than wholesale swapping of feeds is the key.

RCR - I hope Dylan's not overeating
I'm not sure if he is or not - I know he eats his food too much too fast sometimes so brings it up again

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
24-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #15

Ooops, I think Oli may be slightly over weight! He weights 6.3kg. He has a saggy tummy, thats for sure.

We will be moving soon and Oli will have a much bigger house and he will also have his own run in the garden. Hopefully that will prevent him from piling on anymore weight.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
03-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #16

Dylan's now down to 5kg, got him excercising more!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #17

I suspect Leia's a bit overweight, she's 14 pounds (6.5 kilograms), but she is a BIG cat, long and tall! Big bones? But the vet didn't say anything the last time he saw and weighed her.