Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
21-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Weight

I don't know whether we need to put Dylan on a diet or reduce his food intake. He's 6.5kg at last weighing and a heavy boy Try picking him up and it feels like he weighs a ton!

When he's having his food, he looks like he's got an overweight backside!

He has a bowl of dried go cat down for him all day and he has an eigth of a tin of wet food twice a day (shops own brand) which has a lot of meat in it.

I don't really know how we can reduce his food intake, but I'm not sure if he's overweight (he doesn't like getting picked up very much - panics) so I can't judge by holding him very easily.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
21-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #2

Re: Weight

Does he have an obvious waist? If you can't weigh him easily, try and look at his Body Condition Score (BCS)
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/File/22727_bo...er_cats_v4.pdf
In order to help him lose weight (if he needs to) it's best to try and get an accurate weight then put him onto a complete, calorie-controlled diet, rather than simply cutting down his intake. Reducing the amount of a normal maintenance diet will also reduce the essential nutrients he's taking in.
You could also try and increase his exercise levels-using activity feeders, playing with toys etc.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Does he have an obvious waist? If you can't weigh him easily, try and look at his Body Condition Score (BCS)
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/File/22727_bo...er_cats_v4.pdf
In order to help him lose weight (if he needs to) it's best to try and get an accurate weight then put him onto a complete, calorie-controlled diet, rather than simply cutting down his intake. Reducing the amount of a normal maintenance diet will also reduce the essential nutrients he's taking in.
You could also try and increase his exercise levels-using activity feeders, playing with toys etc.
The website won't show

I won't try to find his waist at the moment, he's curled up fast asleep. For the past few days he's been very lazy - about the most activity he's chosen to do is catching a rat and bringing it to us then eating most of it!

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #4

Sorry about the link, it worked for me The best way to look at his waist is from above, you should be able to see where it goes inwards behin the rib cage.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #5

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/obesity.html

If you go to the PDSA site you can download a condition scoring leaflet for cats.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Sorry about the link, it worked for me The best way to look at his waist is from above, you should be able to see where it goes inwards behin the rib cage.
I've got it working now! Had to go onto the pdsa's website and find it from there.

Had a feel of Dylan's sides - can't feel the ribs at all (there again Dylan hunched up when I was trying to find them so I wouldn't have felt them

Dylan's curled up again now, so I'll have to try tomorrow when Dylan's awake.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
21-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #7

The only way to weigh him is to pick him up when he is calm and stand on some scales holding him. Then put him down and weigh yourself and take the first from the second to get his weight.

Catsey Veteran

22-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats' staff
The only way to weigh him is to pick him up when he is calm and stand on some scales holding him. Then put him down and weigh yourself and take the first from the second to get his weight.
It isn't weighing him that's the problem, we weigh him using his carrier!

I've had a look and I don't think he needs a diet. He will do if he gets any fatter though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #9

It's a good thing to be aware of RCR - easier to help him maintain a healthy weight than to get him to lose it when he's too heavy. Difficult to tell, I know, but he doesn't look too big in his photos.

Catsey Veteran

22-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It's a good thing to be aware of RCR - easier to help him maintain a healthy weight than to get him to lose it when he's too heavy. Difficult to tell, I know, but he doesn't look too big in his photos.
From the looks of him he's borderline too heavy - if he puts any more weight on then he'll be too podgy (don't tell him I said that!!!)

I agree that it's a good thing to be aware of, if more people were aware of it there wouldn't be so many obese pets! (not having a go at anyone by the way - just saying)