Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Upgraded to a blizzard!

Been snowing since 9 pm last night, will continue probably thru the night although not as heavy after 10 pm. Blizzard means winds of 35 mph with blowing and drifting snow. Everything closed, government, universities, etc. Buses only running on emergency snow routes, streets in my neighborhood either gritted nor plowed. My neighbor did the sidewalks with his blower but it's falling at about 2" per hour, so covered again. I'd guess we have about 9" here, a friend in Capitol Hill says he has 10". Miraculously my paper was delivered! Doing to get worse before it gets better: TV stations have dropped regular programming and on continuous storm watch. This was taken from my front porch about 9:30 this morning.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #2

Re: Upgraded to a blizzard!

Looks like you've had quite a fall, Eileen Don't attempt to go out in it at all, if you really needed something, maybe your kind neighbour would offer to get it for you?

I must say it looks very pretty there with the snow though, I hope it won't stay with you too long.

Take care, stay warm.... x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #3

Yes, keep warm and stay safe Eileen. I guess your power is still holding out, otherwise you couldn't post.

It does look pretty from the inside!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
19-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #4

Stay safe and warm indoors Eileen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
19-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #5

Oh goodness, stay inside and be safe! I just woke up to a news article about your storm. I hope your power stays on. Keep us updated if you can.

Catsey Veteran

19-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Still snowing! The subway is only running the underground trains, and all the buses were taken off the streets at 1:30 pm as the roads are too hazardous. The wind chill is -12 C now! We're well on the way to breaking the record for the heaviest December snowstorm!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
19-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

Wow! Makes you wonder if a few stubborn people are out and about trying to get last minute Xmas shopping done. I hope they heed the warnings!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #8

Some people here in the UK (my OH for one) are always wittering on that a bit of snow shouldn't bring the country to a halt ........... I'm not quite sure what his alternative to the power of heavy snow would be though ..... he doesn't say!!!

Anyway, he may be pleased to know that Washington has closed for snow! I saw something on Google about a Washington Theatre calling off it's performance of A Christmas Carol because of thundersnow.

Catsey Veteran

19-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #9

Most of the malls had sense enough to close, but one is open ... I feel sorry for the retailers who were counting on this day. I haven't even gone out to check on the mail, sure George (our postman) won't come. Schools will probably still be closed Monday so the kids will get an early break. This is a wowzer of a storm!

Catsey Veteran

19-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #10

Angie, there was a joke making the rounds back in the bad old Cold War days that if the Russians did decide to attack they'd so it in a snowstorm day ....the City is always chaotic and mostly shut down then! Panicsville! We don't handle snow well....