Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #21

Re: Cattery or Cat Sitter

Quote:
she is certainly terrified by the sight of her carrier basket
So are mine!

Quote:
Both of those are relatively small in terms of trauma compared to going and living somewhere else for a week among strange people and strange cats.
So why the thread in the first place, you appear to have made your decision?

Quote:
Pousse is left for 10 - 11 hours alone every day while I am at work. Anything could happen then as well - does that mean I should not own a cat?
Pardon? Thats a bit of a silly thing to say. For the record, I personally think it is wrong to leave any animal for extended periods of time, and if that offends you, then thats not my problem is it? Pousse is your Cat.

Quote:
As I have said I haven't made any decision
Perhaps you havent made your decision????

In your original post you said:
Quote:
Is this likely to be enough contact do you think?
It appears you are questioning the "contact" issue yourself, yes? hence my opinion of no it isnt.

Quote:
my only concern is whether a cattery would be better as the one I would use has someone on site 24/7.
ALL lisenced boarding establishments have somebody there 24/7 its a law regarding the boarding lisence.

Quote:
Opinions and what do you do when you go away?
You have mine, and I board my Cats when I go away, unless somebody lives here, whereby the elderly Cats stay and only the younger Cats are boarded, my Dogs come with me.

Apologies if I have "offended" you but you asked for opinions.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #22

Personally I'd choose for my cats to stay at home where their surroundings are familiar. Have been lucky in the respect that Graham and I usually have seperate holidays, so there is always one of us here. There has been the odd holiday we have taken together where my good friend Ashley comes and stays.
I am sure there are alot of good catteries around but there are also alot of scarey stories about catteries too.
There will always be good and bad experiences on both counts.

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Personally I'd choose for my cats to stay at home where their surroundings are familiar. Have been lucky in the respect that Graham and I usually have seperate holidays, so there is always one of us here. There has been the odd holiday we have taken together where my good friend Ashley comes and stays.
I am sure there are alot of good catteries around but there are also alot of scarey stories about catteries too.
There will always be good and bad experiences on both counts.
I agree Elaine, but the horror stories concerning pet "sitters" are just as bad.
Dawn.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
07-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
So are mine!

So why the thread in the first place, you appear to have made your decision?

I hadn't made a decision when I posted and still haven't completely decided - I posted as I was pondering the situation

Pardon? Thats a bit of a silly thing to say. For the record, I personally think it is wrong to leave any animal for extended periods of time, and if that offends you, then thats not my problem is it? Pousse is your Cat.

I wasn't offended by your opinion but the arbitrary way in which you expressed it as if people aren't fit to own cats if they leave them for periods. That's your opinion fine but it could have been expressed a bit more diplomatically

It appears you are questioning the "contact" issue yourself, yes? hence my opinion of no it isnt.

Yes I was questioning it to start with but after thinking about it in more depth made I realised Pousse will not be left any longer than when I am at home so to speak.

ALL lisenced boarding establishments have somebody there 24/7 its a law regarding the boarding lisence.

But are cats checked regularly during that 24 hour period at all catteries?

Apologies if I have "offended" you but you asked for opinions.

Yes I did however most people have replied in a much less confrontational manner - even now with you "quoting" the word offended it just comes across as being really sarcastic in the written word

I will be discussing this with my friend and seeing what she can do - and visiting the cattery and making a decision after

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #25

Hope it works out for you Soupie, whatever you decide.
Dawn.