Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #11

Re: Cattery or Cat Sitter

I have only used a cattery (well recommended, professional) three times when I was younger and had to travel. My Siamese, a nervous type, detested it; he barely ate and came home 2 or 3 pounds lighter! I cat sat for my friend for years before she moved away, and her cat who was also wary of other people, was much happier at home...I'd play with her, (or try to!), feed her, scoop, etc. While the cat wasn't especially fond of me we both felt it was better for her in her own home. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #12

I used catteries when they were very young asd I didn't want then to get injured and it meant I didn't have to worry about them.
Then when they were between 3-7 years old we had a pet sitter come round as they didn't like not being able to roam around their territory.

Now they are back to using catteries as they are older and tend to just sleep most of the time anyway.

They go to the catter I worked in for about a year so I know everyone there and I feel happy as I know they are safe and IU don't have to worry about Tilly being silly and not coming in at night or buster staying out in the dark. Tilly does get stressed a bit but she settles in very quickly and whenever I come back they are tucked up in their bed looking very relaxed. Buster doesn't get so stressed and steeles in very quickly, he is happy as long as he has his food.

I would say if Pousse is an indoor only cats then it is OK to go with youre friend as a pet sitter but other wise I would take her to a cattery, as that is what I would do.

Sally

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
06-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #13

I would opt for the in home pet sitter, but I would have her stay every night. In my experience, cats just don't board well, and often do better in their home environment, especially older cats.

Of course, you need to leave emergency contacts, phone numbers and some money or a credit card behind in the event that Pousse becomes injured or ill.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
06-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #14

My holiday in October (honeymoon) will be the first one since having my cats....my Son will stay at home and have them with Neighbours and Family around incase of problems x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #15

Jen has had cats all her life and I will be contactable at all times in case of vetinary treatment required. Am happy to leave her a card to an account with funds in and my insurance docs

I have left Pousse overnight a couple of times and Jen will be going in minimum twice a day even when not staying over - I can ask her if she could do every night but that would mean leaving her cat in the complete care of her housemate which means he would have agree

My concerns about the cattery are that she will think she is back in the rescue again and it will put her limited confidence back to square one

I really don't know what to do as there is so much advice here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #16

I think, considering Pousse's sensitivity and recent upheavals I would be tempted to keep her at home. If she knows Jen then being in her own environment would be best for her.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #17

It sounds like you have everything well planned for a cat sitter Soupie ...... you have a friend you trust, one who is used to cats, you can be contacted whilst away ............ I would go with that

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie
Jen has had cats all her life and I will be contactable at all times in case of vetinary treatment required. Am happy to leave her a card to an account with funds in and my insurance docs

I have left Pousse overnight a couple of times and Jen will be going in minimum twice a day even when not staying over - I can ask her if she could do every night but that would mean leaving her cat in the complete care of her housemate which means he would have agree

My concerns about the cattery are that she will think she is back in the rescue again and it will put her limited confidence back to square one

I really don't know what to do as there is so much advice here
Cats are not able to think in this capacity, we, as humans tend to try and put anthromorphic qualities on them which arent there, you must do as you think is best, but in 14yrs of Cattery management, I certainly know which I would choose, I would never ever leave a Cat (or Dog) alone unnattended in a house for long periods of time, anything could happen, but thats me, everybody is different.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
06-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #19

I have used both. I did put mine in a cattery before and never had any problems. The lady was so lovely who ran it and she treated all the cats as her own with lots of love and attention and her children were allowed to go and play with some of the cats too at times.

However, Kuta is slightly nervous and didn't really take well to being in the cattery, so I decided to try a pet sitter.

The first one I used was a terrible experience and I was really upset with her. It had been when Midas was poorly anyway and he deteriorated so much in the time I was away I was unsure if she had even been giving him his medication and he was so dehydrated. She claimed not to have noticed - which I though ridiculous.

Anyhow, after that I spoke to lots more people locally and was recommended to another pet sitters. This time they are lovely and I trust them completely. They even have a key to my house, which they keep so that if I'm ever stuck somewhere or need them to pop round in an emergency they will. They have been fantastic in looking after my bunch, they clean up the house a bit too, water my plants and pick up my post!!!

I think that you should do whatever you are comfortable with. I would do either and be happy - but Kuta wouldn't!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Cats are not able to think in this capacity, we, as humans tend to try and put anthromorphic qualities on them which arent there, you must do as you think is best, but in 14yrs of Cattery management, I certainly know which I would choose, I would never ever leave a Cat (or Dog) alone unnattended in a house for long periods of time, anything could happen, but thats me, everybody is different.
Dawn.
Well she may not be able to think in that way as you say but she is certainly terrified by the sight of her carrier basket and even the very short trip to the vet. Both of those are relatively small in terms of trauma compared to going and living somewhere else for a week among strange people and strange cats. I trust the cattery I would use but I am not going to put her through the stress of going somewhere strange if it can be avoided.

Pousse is left for 10 - 11 hours alone every day while I am at work. Anything could happen then as well - does that mean I should not own a cat?

If my friend cat sat then Pousse would not be left alone or unchecked for any longer period than she does each day while I am at work - in fact Jen would be able to check her and leave it as shorter periods unattended than while I am at home!

As I have said I haven't made any decision and Pousse's wellbeing is paramount but I have to admit to feeling slightly offended by the implication that I don't care about my cat's welfare