Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #1

Cattery or Cat Sitter

I have a week away planned at the end of May for my sister's wedding.

I am currently pondering whether to put Pousse in a cattery (I have a really good one I have used before and the lady who run's it is really caring and professional) or whether to get a cat-sitter?

Potential cat-sitter is a good friend and the plan would be for her to come round more frequently over the next two months and for Pousse to get used to her. She would also stay some nights at the flat when I am away so Pousse would have someone around some evenings and the nights she didn't stay she would spend a couple of hours at the flat giving cuddles etc.

Is this likely to be enough contact do you think? She would be going in morning to feed and tidy poophouse and then in evening to feed/groom and cuddle and either stay night or stay a couple of hours fussing. Intention is she would stay every other night.

She is a very caring and responsible person who is experienced with cats - my only concern is whether a cattery would be better as the one I would use has someone on site 24/7.

Opinions and what do you do when you go away?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
05-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #2

Re: Cattery or Cat Sitter

I've never used a cattery, and when I go away Teddie comes with me and I have someone who comes to the house to feed the boys and play with them twice a day. I think that the idea with your friend sounds best for Pousse, as she has already had a lot of upheaval, and a cattery might upset her again! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #3

Good question.

Generally cats like their own homes and are usually content to stay in them and wait for their owner to come back.
However, it is a big responsibility for the sitter, and I suppose security is better in a double-door cattery pen.

Still haven't decided what to do with my monsters in September, so i won't offer you any advice at this time, except do what you think feels right.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
05-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #4

if you have the choice, i would go with a petsitter.

having used to work in a cattery, the cats only really get seen to twice a day for about 5 minutes and thats to feed and clean pretty much. maybe the one near you is different. But i think cats do prefer to be in the security of their own home and i would have thought your friend will be giving more than enough to keep her happy while you are away.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #5

It's a tough one, I have done both but have to say that I think the cats prefer to stop in their home rather than go into cattery accomodation. I think it's a decision that only you can make but if I had the support of your very experienced friend who will stay some nights with Pousse, then I might be tempted to leave her at home

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #6

I agree with Alex. Pousse has had alot of upheaval lately, and she's only now settling in to her new home, so I think the cat sitter would be preferable. We have a friend come to look after ours in the home when we're away, and I'm sure that's what they prefer!

Only my opinion of course!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #7

I can only add what I always do with Cassie. She goes into the Cattery every year, has been going there for 9 years. We have got to know the owners quite well and Cassie is familiar with them. Being a very nervous cat, she is very wary about anyone coming into the house (except family)......... but when she gets to the Cattery she is all purrs and rubs around the owners. She also gets brushed most days and I do find different toys in her run even though she takes her own

I am happy with her being there as I know she is completely safe and there is always a vet on call if need be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #8

My personal choice would always be a sitter. In the past, on the rare occasions we've had holidays someone (friends or family) have always either come to stay for the period or has popped in 2 or 3 times a day.

There are some very good pet/house sitting companies around and although they are not cheap these sitters are prepared for all eventualities and are covered by various insurances!

I have no experience of catteries but for me the choice is because of the nervous nature of one of my cats rather than a mistrust of catteries in any way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
05-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny
if you have the choice, i would go with a petsitter.

having used to work in a cattery, the cats only really get seen to twice a day for about 5 minutes and thats to feed and clean pretty much. maybe the one near you is different. But i think cats do prefer to be in the security of their own home and i would have thought your friend will be giving more than enough to keep her happy while you are away.
You must have worked at a bad one, cant understand why you didnt give them more attention?

Anyhow, back to the question, I manage a kennels and cattery, I have seen both sides of the coin. One being Cats left at home, not eating, escaping, dissappearing etc.. becoming ill but not being seen for ages etc.. and the cattery side, Cats not enjoying it, some may not eat for the first day etc..

Points to consider.
Cattery. (up side)
Cat will be safe.
Cat will be fed and checked regularly.
Any problems will be attended to immediately, Veterinary expences should there be any will be covered.
Cat will be looked after by experienced people who recognise potential problems and can address them quickly.

Cattery (down side)
Cat may be quiet for a day or so untill it gets used to its surroundings.
Cat may not eat the first day.

Home (up side)
Cat in own environment.
Cat may continue eating normally.

Home (down side)
Cat will be left unnattended for extended periods, even overnight.
Cat may harm itself and be left injured without attention, again for extended period.
Cat may become ill, is the carer an experienced Cat owner who may recognise this?
Would the carer be able to get the Cat to a Vet and if nesessary administer medication to the Cat on a regular basis, remembering that for the most part they arent there.
You would be responsible for any Vet fees.
If the Cat escapes, bare in mind what could happen to it.

Just my opinion, depending on age etc... I would personally opt for a Cattery every time and thats even for my precious babes!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
05-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #10

I have always had my cats looked after by my parents, they have had cats before and they are allways very well looked after.