Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

Porsha..

Porsha has come into full call this morning, I thought it was going to happen with how she has been over the last few days. Problem is the vet was rather hoping that due to her illnesses and immaturity that she would hold out a little longer before calling as they don't really want to put her under anaesthetic unless they have to because of how she struggled to come out of it last time. I don't want her to have more than this one call as I don't want the stress of calling bringing on her 'other' problems. Have phoned the vet, waiting for the vet to get back to me..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #2

Re: Porsha..

Understand your feelings and misgivings Fran. (((hugs)))
I've never heard of it so I don't suppose there is a 'delay the season/call' hormone pill like you can get for dogs is there? I remember we had to go to a vet practice in Scotland for this for Dolly when she suprised us by coming into season when we were on holiday.
If there was such a pill/jab it would give Porsha a chance to get bigger and stronger before eventually being speyed.
I'm not well up on cat hormones but I think they just keep coming into season throughout the summer if not mated, don't they?
Problems Sorry

Catsey Veteran

01-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #3

There is a pill, although I am not sure that it is entirely liscensed for cats?? However, I am under the impression that withholding the calls with drugs can increase the risk of Pyometra. Yes, now the days are getting longer she will just keep coming in and out of call if I don't do something I will have to go with the vet's decision on this one..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
01-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

I'm sure theres something you can get, a type of herbal remedy, that can 'cool them off' a bit..infact im positive cause if i recall we used it before with past queens.
I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but its something that just calms their hormones down a bit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #5

Poor Porsha, her troubles never seem to end do they Fran! Hope the vet can get her sorted out without too much bother.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #6

Another worry for you Fran but fortunately you seem to take them all in your stride
I hope your vet can advise you what to do for the best....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #7

I've just realised! I'm going to be having this problem soon with Teddie, but there is no way she is strong enough to be speyed yet!! Something to discuss with the new vet I think!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
01-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #8

There is a drug you can get to stop them calling - but I don't think it's really recommended as there are side effects.

I hope the vet has the answers for you, Fran.

Fingers crossed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #9

I do not really understand calling etc... all mine have been done so to speak, I am guessing little Porsha will be under wraps now and being watched at those certain times x

Catsey Veteran

01-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet
I am guessing little Porsha will be under wraps now and being watched at those certain times

The Meezers are always under wraps as they are not allowed outside anyhow

The vet is going to spey Porsha but she wants to arrange a day when the big chief, most experienced vet is there and plenty of staff available on stand by for complications It won't be until about a week after she has stopped calling. She agrees that the stress of calling may induce her other problems again and the risk of pyometra is too great to leave her indefinitely, so she's going to do it I'll let you know when I have a date...