Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-02-2015, 02:55 AM   #11

Re: marmaduke very poorly

Positive thoughts from Here x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
10-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #12

I do hope that you get some good news about Marmaduke when he goes back to the vet It's good that he's started to groom himself a bit.Let's hope that he is feeling a bit better. I'm keeping him in my prayers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

What a worry. I hope the vet can identify what might be the underlying cause of Marmaduke's problem. I hope he's feeling better in himself today. Fingers crossed xx

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
10-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #14

I hope whatever the outcome it can be 'managed' so that Marmaduke can get some quality of life back again, that at least would be a positive step. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #15

More positive vibes from me and comforting purrrs from Kizzy and Pip.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
10-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #16

no change in him today still very poorly, looks more like a cat of 18 than of 4 ( He's on Frusemide to help reduce the fluid and Nelio for his heart. He's got a heart scan on Friday when hopefully the fluid will be gone so they can actually see properly.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #17

Oh bless him, hang on in there little soldier.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
16-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #18

Ok some good news and some bad news concerning Marmaduke.

He's been in for a scan and further tests and they are 99% sure it is HCM, but they've sent off for tests to confirm 100%. But his x-ray shows a big improvement from last week, and he is a little bit better. He's managed to get up on the sofa and to go upstairs which he hasn't done for a week, and the vet had to sedate him as he was quite difficult! And yesterday he did try and jump up on to the top of the fridge freezer, he failed and I had to lift him up!

They have reduced his flucmide to half a tablet twice a day and taken him off Nilio as this has caused an ulcer (he's had very dark poo's which is symtonmatic of this) so he's on half a tablet a day of Omeprazole for 10 days to help clear that up. They might put him on a different med or back on nilio but with some other drug at a later date. The main thing is to get him eating! So he's been given something to stimulate his appetite and some Hills A\D food to help encourage him to eat. They think a lot of the problem is his lack of appetite as well as being anemic due to the ulcer so once this is sorted he should perk up and be just about back to normal, he's managed to eat a little tuna and seemed quite interested in it, and I've been hand feeding him with the A\D on a teaspoon. They hope he should be well for maybe 9 to 12 months which I must admit is a lot longer than we thought! They had another BSH with HCM in that they had to put down at Xmas and he lived for 18 months having been diagnosed at about the same age as Duke is now.

So all in all not that bad we know he's on borrowed time but with luck it'll be a little bit more time that he can enjoy.

The vets have been great and we're very luck to have such a good vets practice. A couple of the vets (they're all really young!) are big BSH fan's and love seeing all our three and Marmaduke is always a bit of a hit with them!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
16-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #19

Glad to hear you've got to the bottom of what is wrong with Marmaduke. It's good to know what you are dealing with. I hope he feels better in himself and starts eating nice things soon.

Catsey Veteran

16-02-2015, 11:41 PM   #20

It's a sad prognosis but as you know all about quality of life. So glad you have good vets that you can rely on. Gentle hugs for Marmaduke. Keep up the eating sweetie.