Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
30-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

hayfever

Morning everyone.

Thought I would start a thread on something which prevents alot of us enjoying the summer weather and maybe share tips on how to get relief from it

At the moment, I am using loratadine tables, nose spray and now a nose vapour along side it. Not getting alot of relief. (all products are over the counter)

What are other people using and is it helping?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

Re: hayfever

Pamela, so sorry you are suffering. Being a life long asthmatic I also have allergies but many years ago I had allergy testing done on NHS and got a course of immunisation jabs. My allergies are very common, grass pollen and house dust mite. Even though it was over 40 years ago, I think I still have benefit from it. I do top up with loratadine (buy very cheaply online) and take one every night. I understand that a teaspoonful of honey a day may help, if pollen is your allergen. I've also heard that Vitamin B (like in Brewer's yeast tablets) can help but I think you need to start taking them before the pollen season starts.

If I were you, I think I'd go to your GP as the loratadine isn't working for you and you probably need a stronger prescription antihistamine, especially if you want to start running. I guess the pollen season is later in Scotland?

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Thanks angie. Got the doctors tomorrow morning. I'm allergic to the cats just now because of it and it's getting to me that I can't cuddle them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

I suffer with hayfever but relatively mildly. It may be worth contacting your doctor as something like fexofenadine, which I believe is a prescription only medication could be prescribed, probably more effective that over the counter remedies. Hope you find something that helps as it is miserable.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

i got different tablets from the doctors, ones i have never heard of. they have worked great along with the nose spray they gave me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

Good news, Pamela - one problem solved! Is cat cuddling comfy again???