Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #51

Re: Kitten prices

This is a discussion I've had with our co-ordinator (in our CP branch). She's quite flexible and has a job getting some of the more officious home checkers to toe her line - i.e., unless a cat has a specific reason for not going to a home with children or othercats/dogs then all should be considered!

I took Darcy on when Dominik was 2. I took Myshka on when Sebastian was 1 1/2!! Both boys respect the cats and I make sure they do. I can understand why sometimes people are reluctant to rehome as there are parents out there who will not supervise their small children around pets and will then throw the cat out for scratching a kid when all it's doing is fighting back!

But back to the question of paying lots of money for a moggy? Afraid not. It's just fuelling the greed of the breeder and condoning their actions. I can completely understand how difficult it can be to refuse when faced with a cute bundle and sometime the unspoken 'threat' of what would happen if they were not all sold but really it is best to always walk away.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy's
09-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #52

This will make you all laugh then, when charlie and patti died Snoopy was on her own so myself n my O/H went to CP to have a look at a cat any age any sex we just wanted a companion for Snoopy.
We live in the middle of nowhere, not near any roads, surrounded by fields and have a semi enclosed garden, I dont work but my O/H does, we had no dogs at that time and we have no kids and I was told that my situation was NOT ideal to rehome a cat from the CP!!!!!
I could have understood if we had specific requirements for the cat we were looking for but all we said was as long as it gets on well with other cats, we would have quite happily taken a older moggy to live out her days with us but we were not suitable.
So I found a small rescue centre near me and got peanuts.
If they stay this strict they will always have problems rehoming as no-one will even bother ringing to ask about any cats they have in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #53

Coincidentally there was a long article about this very problem in today's Washington Post; the difficulties put in the way of people seeking to adopt. I thought it might be interesting to you all to see the situation here in my area..... hope this link will copy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Coincidentally there was a long article about this very problem in today's Washington Post; the difficulties put in the way of people seeking to adopt. I thought it might be interesting to you all to see the situation here in my area..... hope this link will copy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
My goodness Eileen, seems it's just as bad over there to adopt a pet I agree they have to make sure the animal isn't going to a home where it will be neglected or abused but a line has to be drawn somewhere, some of the requirements tend to be a bit ridiculous and over the top.

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #55

I was delighted to read, however, that the Washington Humane Society is eliminating the dreaded home visit!! That's where I'll go if and when I need to rehome; Leia is healthy as a horse and only 9 so hopefully will be many many years down the road....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #56

Well in a way it's reassuring to know that England isn't the only country in the world that's gone mad.

I was wondering if we haven't got a brood of little dictators from somewhere - except of course that dictators don't tend to like cats at all!!!!

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #57

Angie - you've hit the nail on the head! The woman that headed up our CP previously ran it as if it were her own little empire. Thankfully she's now been 'removed'. There is a real need to modernise the organisation to take into account modern lifestyles. Otherwise you're right - no cat will ever get rehomed!!

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #58

Oh, and I was going to add; it's also a bit like adopting a child. In the pre-children days when I'd been told it was going to be nearly medically impossible for me to conceive naturally we went a long way down the adoption route (don't always listen to the doctors).

Oh my goodness, I've never experienced anything so completely soul-destroying in my life. People would make judgements based on ticking a box and not really bothering to understand anything about us, our situation or what we had to offer.

I think situations such as these really highlight the fact that those in control of the adoption process - feline or human (and please don't think I'm comparing the two like-for-like as obviously I realise the criteria have to reflect certain key differentials), really need to humanise the whole arrangement to make it workable and more approachable overall.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
This will make you all laugh then, when charlie and patti died Snoopy was on her own so myself n my O/H went to CP to have a look at a cat any age any sex we just wanted a companion for Snoopy.
We live in the middle of nowhere, not near any roads, surrounded by fields and have a semi enclosed garden, I dont work but my O/H does, we had no dogs at that time and we have no kids and I was told that my situation was NOT ideal to rehome a cat from the CP!!!!!
I could have understood if we had specific requirements for the cat we were looking for but all we said was as long as it gets on well with other cats, we would have quite happily taken a older moggy to live out her days with us but we were not suitable.
So I found a small rescue centre near me and got peanuts.
If they stay this strict they will always have problems rehoming as no-one will even bother ringing to ask about any cats they have in.

No wonder there are so many cats in rescue ....I am beginning to have little sympathy for the rescues tbh

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #60

Well said, Yola. It's not a one-size-fits-all situation! I suppose it's much more work to look at and evaluate each case on its own than to have a rigid set of guidelines, and if the wrong box is ticked....forget about it!

And the little dictators running their own fief...power corrupts........