Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #41

Re: Smoking Ban

Good one, DM!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
02-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucySiamese
drinking is also a health risk it can damage your liver, why people harp on about smoking causing lung cancer it really grates on me!

Smoking, Drinking, and Eating all have health risks...
I think the difference is that if people chose to drink to excess and damage their liver then that is their choice. I like a drink, but in moderation (mostly! ) Smoking affects everyone around you. Apparently even our pets can be affected by passive smoking. It is not just the health risks I object to, I hate the smell of smoke on my clothes and hair.

I am overweight, I know that and I suppose that could damage my health, but it is not affecting anyone else!

I think like others have said, we will have to agree to disagree. I'm so glad this discussion never got nasty!!

Someone mentioned working mens clubs, I have to agree that a blanket smoking ban at these places is unecessary.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #43

Quote:
drinking is also a health risk it can damage your liver, why people harp on about smoking causing lung cancer it really grates on me!

Because if you want to drink yourself to death it does not affect me.

Because you want to eat yourself to death with unhealthy food it does not affect me.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
02-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Because if you want to drink yourself to death it does not affect me.

Because you want to eat yourself to death with unhealthy food it does not affect me.

That maybe so:

But what if they said right the nation is too fat and enforced it that restuarants and pubs cant sell burgers and chips ect,or steak and chips followed by choccy fudge cake and you could only get healthy food, people would be unhappy,

But because they say right smoking ban all the non smokers thinks its fantastic, you can see how this would annoy the people that do smoke.

I still say it should be up to the landlady/landlords whether they have a smoking or non smoking pub or not, depending on who they get the most custom from! why should theire profits suffer?

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #45

Quote:
That maybe so:

But what if they said right the nation is too fat and enforced it that restuarants and pubs cant sell burgers and chips ect,or steak and chips followed by choccy fudge cake and you could only get healthy food, people would be unhappy,

But because they say right smoking ban all the non smokers thinks its fantastic, you can see how this would annoy the people that do smoke.

I still say it should be up to the landlady/landlords whether they have a smoking or non smoking pub or not, depending on who they get the most custom from! why should theire profits suffer?
If they stopped selling steak and chips then I would not have the choice to eat it. Simple.

But that is not comparable in this argument because what people eat does not affect anybody's health but their own.

Pubs having the right to chose will not work, as some people smoke and some do not so it will split groups of friends, it will cause problems employing staff.

I am sure all the smokers will calm down soon enough anyway as no amount of moaning will get the ban unbanned

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
If they stopped selling steak and chips then I would not have the choice to eat it. Simple.

But that is not comparable in this argument because what people eat does not affect anybody's health but their own.

Pubs having the right to chose will not work, as some people smoke and some do not so it will split groups of friends, it will cause problems employing staff.

I am sure all the smokers will calm down soon enough anyway as no amount of moaning will get the ban unbanned

When was the last time you was in hospital, or needed to see a doctor? Because the tax on those fags are what pays for it! The nhs is bad enough and its going to get worse!

I just think there are more worth while things for the government to concentrate on rather than picking on smokers ect...

Also there are enough people unemployed not to worry about working in a smokey pub,most of them smoke anyway.

what im getting at with the food, is all the non smokers wouldnt like it if they were told what they could eat! so why tell smokers where they can smoke!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
02-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #47

I am 100% for the ban, about time too!!! I hated going into a pub/restuarant and having to breath in somebody elses smoke. I will certainly go to more pubs/restaurants now

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #48

I am sure the tax on all the cigarettes that are bought doesnt even meet the bill half way on all the smoking related diseases this country has to pay for.

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #49

Quote:
But NOT smoking isn't going to kill anybody is it???

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #50

Quote:

But smoking kills innocent people, me eating a cream cake and killing myself by overeating is only ever going to kill myself not anybody else.