Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Bengal
Hailstr0m is Male
05-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1

Novice Cat Owner

Hi,

We got out first cat in May. His parents are Bengal cats but Smidge didn't have the distinctive markings so we took him in as they couldn't sell him. He has hsettled in well, he rules over our two dogs and has provided us with endless hours of laughs. He has grown so quickly we are amazed and he has turned out to be a real outdoor cat and can't get enough of exploring. However, we can't seem to fill him. He is eating us out of house and home. I have fed him Felix since we got him and he also has Go-Cat kitten which he seems to like.He will occasionally have the odd piece of white fish or tuna but it doesn't seem to make any difference on how much we feed him he still cries for more.

He has been checked for worms as he doesn't seem to be getting fat. All seemingly in good health. Would it be advisable to start feeding him adult food in a bid to fill him that little bit more? He's 6 months old now and it is like feeding a teenager....

Any tips would be welcomed!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
06-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

Re: Novice Cat Owner

Welcome HailstrOm to Catsey from Joy and Beau!! They are our first Kitten/ cats for about 20 years!! Didn't realised what ive been missing until now!!
[

We have given them both Hi Life ( it has 80% meat ) soft food and "MORE" hard food. The hard food "fills" them up quite a bit. One of them , Joy, is much bigger and does eat more ,but i find that the Hard food even fills her up!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

Hi! Smidge sounds like a real character. How many meals does he have per day? If he doesn't seem to ever be full, and as you say he's been wormed, perhaps giving him an extra meal mid-day could help if it's convenient for you? I would certainly move him on to adult food but gradually so as to prevent any digestive upsets ... nice to hear of a cat with a good appetite! I don't have any knowledge of specific needs of Bengals, but we do have members here who do.

We'd love to see a photo of Smidge ........... we do love photos here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

hey there and welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing pics and hear more about smidge

Hailstr0m is Male
09-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! He's most definitely a character! I never actually know what is going to happen next. He is a Bengal in the sense that his parents are Bengals his owners couldn't sell him as he didn't have the typical markings so I took him under my wing. Was a bit dicey at first as we have two dogs but he has settled in really well. I think I have the food thing on a level playing field. I bought Sheba which he seems to like. I also have Felix adult so I give him a mixture of kitten and adult food. That keeps him busy. Any comments on that type of food are welcome asbo don't know what you class as good or bad food. Any tips on raising an outdoor cat as well?

Hailstr0m is Male
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #6

He has between 4-6 meals per day spread throughout. I haven't ventured into the Hi-Life he likes the Feline Fayre and Gourmet ones. He is kind of spoilt he does also get quite a lot of white fish and tuna but he is still what I would consider normal weight...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

He's still growing ............... you might consider raw feeding him? If you Google BARF for cats, you may get some help. I am no expert but I think that Bengals still have rather a lot of "wild cat" in their genes and he may appreciate a more "natural" diet. Just a thought!!!

Still looking forward to those photos!!!

Hailstr0m is Male
13-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #8

Thanks Angie,

He definitely has "wild cat" in him. He has a tendancy to tease mice on a daily basis. He terrorises all the field mice that go through the garden.

Have you tried the raw feeding technique? It seems complicated but if you reckon it is worth it. I am tempted to try it. He is better with the feeding. I have bought adult food. Sheba and Purina Gourmet seem to be doing the trick. I leave Go-Cat dried food out during the day and he doesn't beg quite so much.

How do I upload pictures on here I have been trying all day but no luck...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
14-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

If you open a " free" account on PHOTOBUCKET and upload your pictures onto that. Once they are on that , just copy and paste the "img" code into the message board here and as you post it , the picture will appear!! Hope this helps?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailstr0m
How do I upload pictures on here I have been trying all day but no luck...
Instructions for posting your photos onto the forum can be found here ......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195