Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

06-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #1

behaviour problem

Please help!!!

I have introduced a gorgeous black semi fluffy cat into my house, I have had Harry for 7 weeks he is about 10 months old, he came from a rescue centre. My problem is he keeps crying to go out no sooner he is out he cries to come back in (walkes around the side entrance) we let him him and walkes straight through and cries to go back out again, could anyone tell me why he keeps doing this??? Do you think he is still feeling insecure??

Also he wont let myself or hubby hold him, doesn't come onto your lap he seems very unsociable I have tried encouraging him with treats he jumps up on my knee and as soon as the treats are gone he jumps back down, wanting to go back out again only to be back in a few minutes later.

Also this sounds strange but he has a fobia of black shoes and prefers us wearing our pyjamas he is more relaxed, & I don't know why?????
Please could someone help, am I doing something wrong?? I was concidering getting another kitten/cat but I don't know how he would react, I would love two cats. I am at home all day, so he does bond with me better than my hubby, our children have grown up and fled the nest so it's just the two of us & Harry the cat. Any sugjestions please????

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
06-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #2

Re: behaviour problem

Hi

Cats can be a law unto themselves at times. My advice would be just to relax don't force anything - in time he will settle down I wouldn't recommend getting another cat at the moment I would give him a chance to settle in first. Do you know any-thing about his background?

Not all cats like to be picked up - my 2 girls hate to be picked up so I don't ever pick them up - but my boys love a cuddle.

He will settle in - he just needs time to adjust and know that he can trust you - I find cats make their own rules and we just have to obey them I always say the pecking order in my house is - cats, then me and OH, then the dogs (poor dogs!)

06-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #3

IHi Emm

No I don't really have anything on harry's background only that he was apparently found roaming the streets so he was taken into Wellcat in Birmingham (charity organisation) for cats to be rehomed. So you wouln't recommened be having another just yet then? I also think I have spolit him as I bought Sheba (the ones in pots) and he eats that & biscuits (only Gocat kitten biscuits) I have tried him on all brand varieties of wet food but walks away I have just left it down all day but he refuses to go anywhere near it other than Sheba & his buscuits A pampard cat or what!!! what would you recommend just keep him on them?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
06-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #4

cats were born to be served!

I'm quite lucky that my cats will eat anything - I give them Sheba as a treat every now and again.
This is what I did with my cats when I got them I put the food down if they walked away from it or turned their nose up I would take it away at the end of the day and the next day they would get a fresh portion of the same food put down. They never starved themselves and I don't have a problem with them refusing food -but I always make sure every week they get a treat of some yummy Sheba or tuna.

06-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #5

It seems I have done the wrong thing, I had a cat for 13 years and lost him very recently to Kindney failure, he was very simlar to Harry with his eating but he would eat differant varieties. Should I try him with something else he's not very fat so I would be worrying if he didn't eat & just ate buscuits I know they are a meal but he needs fattening up, what would you recommed I did Emm?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #6

Maybe he is just testing the boundaries... seeing if you act on his every command ... going out, coming in etc. It might all be a bit novel to him to have his own servant!!

06-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Maybe he is just testing the boundaries... seeing if you act on his every command ... going out, coming in etc. It might all be a bit novel to him to have his own servant!!
Hi Donna
Your right I am his servant!! I will try to ignore and not jump to his every command, as for his eating habits I will just have to try and give him Whiskers or some other, as most cats only have Sheba for a treat not every mealtime, but he won't eat anything other than that, apart from his buscuits, and he is fussy with them only wan'ts Go cat kitten biccys. Any ideas Donna???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #8

Wonder if he has any oriental in him? Siamese are incredibly vocal - and seem to think they merit being waited on even more than other cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley-ann
Hi Donna
Your right I am his servant!! I will try to ignore and not jump to his every command, as for his eating habits I will just have to try and give him Whiskers or some other, as most cats only have Sheba for a treat not every mealtime, but he won't eat anything other than that, apart from his buscuits, and he is fussy with them only wan'ts Go cat kitten biccys. Any ideas Donna???
I have a very fussy kitty too Shirley-Ann!!! Things guaranteed to get eaten down in one are cod fillets, tuna and prawns are fairly well received. Cat food just seems to be so "out of fashion" with my Chloe. But I dont have any further ideas other than that I am afraid. I am at a loss as to what to do with my fusspot feline!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
06-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #10

I cannot really offer any advice as Violet is my first kitten, but just wanted to say I am sure things will only get better in time x