Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #1

Hoglet.

We now have a little hedgehog living in one of the hutches at the moment. I found him living on the track from the caravan, where all the bird food is kept, to the bird runs. He was lying there semi curled up in the middle of the day. I picked him up and took him inside and left him with food and water, the next day he was still in the same place. I put a snugglepad in and refreshed his food. It was the day Samson was PTS so I asked the vet to have a look at him, she said he was thin, but we had no facilities to treat hedgehogs and I should take him to the wildlife centre about an hour away. I have to admit I couldn't even contemple talking on the phone, but Mike called them and they shut at 5 but we could contact the SSPCA to take it over the next morning if we couldn't manage. I didn't do it because it seems wrong to use them as a taxi service. Anyway I manage to syringe a bit of food into it and that evening had to tip it out of the food bowl to refresh it. It is looking much brighter and moving around fine- will get it wormed today and treat for lice etc and see how it goes.
We did overwinter a young hedgehog a couple of years ago and released it near to where we found this one, so I wonder of it is one of the offspring.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #2

Re: Hoglet.

Oh poor wee thing~ Animals in need do seem to find you. Hope he improves.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #3

Re: Hoglet.

Fingers crossed for this little hedgepig.