Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #11

Re: New girls (chooks) on the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Fab hens CM and I'm pining for the days when we kept our layers and showgirls, Light Sussex, Welsummers and Marans. Happy times and a good hobby with nice people we met along the way. 20 odd years ago now but have fond memories.
Have gone to a couple of shows - just for a look round. Can't believe how friendly and helpful people are.

Don't think it's something I'd want to do but I enjoy seeing all the types and varieties there are.

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thay are all fantastic hens CM. Think Eva is my fav though! Hope they all settle well. Sorry, I must have missed that you'd lost two of the original girls.
Yes, Doris died in February/March - I came home from work and she was just lying in the run, still warm not a mark on her so no idea why. Sheila has gone AWOL just last month. Don't know if fox has taken her as she was a bit of a wanderer or she has got lost. We have searched high and low but no sign.

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
What fascinating makings they have; I had no idea how many breeds/color variations there are! A lovely assortment you have; enjoyed the story of strong-willed OH and the hens .....

How I wish I could have some ....
Oh, DM you have no idea of the varieties and colours. I love that mine are all different. I have a huge wish list!!

And OH is the biggest softy you'll meet - but don't tell him I know that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #14

The only ones I know by sight are White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds that Grandma kept. Doubt if I'll ever get to see a show here in the City, but it would be fun!

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
The only ones I know by sight are White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds that Grandma kept. Doubt if I'll ever get to see a show here in the City, but it would be fun!
I have a Rhode Island Red on order. It would be interesting to see if the breed has changed much since you remember it. My mum said that my sussex are much smaller and fluffier than the ones she remembers. Reading some of the breed standard books the pictures of the original standard and the current hen is often quite different.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #16

Oh CM, that's so like the Siamese! I have a book with pics of my Su-ling's mom and grandma, they look nothing like the current show Siamese today.

I last saw Grandma's hens in the Summer of 1941 before the War (non-essential travel discouraged during it), so doubt if my mental pic of the Reds is very clear. As I remember, they were large chunky confident-looking hens. If that makes any sense.....