Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #1

New girls (chooks) on the block

OH said he would get me a few more hens. I have lost two since I got them a year ago so we thought three would be a good number. We had a discussion about breeds and I chose the ones I wanted. On Sunday we went to his friends to pick them up. This guy has a lot of hens and is involved in rescue/showing etc.
I've always wanted a Bluebell Ranger - meet Violet.

Liked the Speckledy too - meet Katie

Also wanted a hen that would lay a white egg - Meet 'The Cutty Sark' (long story about the name) she is a Whitestar

He was asking me how my older hens were so I was giving him an update about the chicks and losing Sheila and Doris. He then said he had some young Cream Legbars in if I was interested in 'replacing' Doris. OH and I had quick discuss and said OK.
Meet Grizzel

On the way back to the house for coffee he was telling us about a rescue he had been involved in a week earlier and was now looking to rehome about 45 young hens and 20 older ones. Now, I knew if I seen them I'd have to help so I just nodded and kept on walking. OH, of course, is made of much sterner stuff. He just wanted a look - no way would he be swayed by a sob story. Besides we only came for 3 and we now had four.

Meet OH's two rescues - Eva, an older hen who is a Silver Pencilled Hamburg bantam. She had been kept in a rabbit hutch with 4 other large hens and was bullied quite a bit - you can see the feather loss on her neck/face.

Meet Mildred, fairly sure she is a buff sussex around 18 weeks old. Again kept in cramped conditions she has some feather loss around her face and had lice.

So we came for 3 and left with six. All seem to be doing well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #2

Re: New girls (chooks) on the block

All the Hens are lovely CM. I don't know anything about them so it's interesting to see all the different breeds.
Hope they all settle in well with you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

aren't they lovely so glad I don't live anywhere near you 'cause Heaven knows how many I would have left with lol.

Catsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
aren't they lovely so glad I don't live anywhere near you 'cause Heaven knows how many I would have left with lol.
I was really only restricted by the size of my coop - It will hold up to 20. I now have 13 adults and 3 chicks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #5

What clear pictures......and what fantastic colours your hens are.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #6

What a great selection....do like Mildred, very nice colour...

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #7

Glad you liked. I thought Mildred was a lovely warm colour. Looking forward to seeing her as an adult. Poor wee soul is at the bottom of the pecking order just now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #8

Thay are all fantastic hens CM. Think Eva is my fav though! Hope they all settle well. Sorry, I must have missed that you'd lost two of the original girls.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
09-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #9

Fab hens CM and I'm pining for the days when we kept our layers and showgirls, Light Sussex, Welsummers and Marans. Happy times and a good hobby with nice people we met along the way. 20 odd years ago now but have fond memories.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #10

What fascinating makings they have; I had no idea how many breeds/color variations there are! A lovely assortment you have; enjoyed the story of strong-willed OH and the hens .....

How I wish I could have some ....