Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbys
04-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

any advice

I posted last week because my cat had diarrhoea for a while and I had seen blood in it, since then I went back to vets last Monday and they gave me a sachet of Panakur I think it was called, as it covers the worms that normal wormers don't. It was a 3 day course which she finished on Thursday morning, she vomited 3 times Thursday. I phoned the vets and they said to see how she was Friday as otherwise she was still well in herself. She hasn't vomited since Thursday. Her stools are now normal and have been for a few days, but I am still seeing a bit of bright red blood on the outside of some of the poos. Should I still be worried? Should I go back to vets Monday or give it a bit longer? my vets did not seem concerned, but I can't stop worrying especially as she is 17.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Re: any advice

First of all Panacur does NOT cover the common tape worm and therefore a broad spectrum wormer such as milbimax or drontil would have been better perhaps. Panacur does cover things like lung worm, hook worm and round worm. Panacur does sometimes cause vomitting, not a big fan of panacur, can you tell
Is she passing stools easily or are they perhaps a little on the hard side? If she is straining at all then this may cause her to pass a little blood.
If you are at all worried then yes contact the vet again. Always trust your instincts as you know her better than anyone, including the vets, and therefore you are the best judge as to whether this is normal for her or not.

Catsey Junior

04-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
First of all Panacur does NOT cover the common tape worm and therefore a broad spectrum wormer such as milbimax or drontil would have been better perhaps. Panacur does cover things like lung worm, hook worm and round worm. Panacur does sometimes cause vomitting, not a big fan of panacur, can you tell
Is she passing stools easily or are they perhaps a little on the hard side? If she is straining at all then this may cause her to pass a little blood.
If you are at all worried then yes contact the vet again. Always trust your instincts as you know her better than anyone, including the vets, and therefore you are the best judge as to whether this is normal for her or not.
I thought it was probably the panacur that made her vomit, but vets said it would not be as it was gentle. I have also used mibemax the week before panacur. Stools are a little hard now but when I first saw the blood she had diarroea. so I suppose there is improvement at least diarroea seems to have cleared up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

I am sorry to hear that your cat is not back to normal. I would certainly go back to the vet if you are worried. As Elaine says, you know her best. Good luck - do let us know how you get on with her.

Catsey Junior

04-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am sorry to hear that your cat is not back to normal. I would certainly go back to the vet if you are worried. As Elaine says, you know her best. Good luck - do let us know how you get on with her.
Thanks, I wiil !