Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
02-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #1

Question about Heart Murmurs

Can cats with heart murmurs go on to develop heart failure or have heart attacks?

Tried to find out on Google and Google's being about as much use as a chocolate teapot

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
02-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #2

Re: Question about Heart Murmurs

I have these 2 pages of information, have not had a chance to read through them yet but my Smokey has a heart murmur.
http://www.mariama.ca/heart.htm
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/heart...r-in-cats.html

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: MOGGIE
02-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

I think it will depend on the diagnosis of what is actually causing the murmur. My Vet diagnosed Pulmonic Stenosis with my little dog with the murmur and said she may never need treatment etc... it all depends if it deterioates.
I just take my little one for regular examinations and it has not deterioated since diagnosed at 4 weeks old and she is now over 1year

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #4

How had the murmur been graded? Its 1-6.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
02-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
How had the murmur been graded? Its 1-6.
The vet didn't grade it so don't know how serious it is. I don't think it's the highest grade because the vet feels happy leaving him for 6 months which I don't think she'd do if it was a really serious heart murmur. She said it could be to do with the stress of moving house in September but she wants to wait and see.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
The vet didn't grade it so don't know how serious it is. I don't think it's the highest grade because the vet feels happy leaving him for 6 months which I don't think she'd do if it was a really serious heart murmur. She said it could be to do with the stress of moving house in September but she wants to wait and see.
Ahh ok. My Scooter has a murmur, he had had it for about 4yrs, he is 18. The higher the grade the worse really, but in dogs its very normal for a grade 3/4 to cause no problems for the dog in its lifetime. I was told my Tarn had a "massive" murmur, left after serious complications of kennel cough, he developed pneumonia, that was when he was a year old, he is 11 now and its never bothered him at all whatsoever!