Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: MOGGIE
30-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #11

Re: Hi I am new and sooo worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I was wondering if he could have fallen and maybe banged his little head, causing a slight concusion or something.
As your vet said, with chemical cleaners, he would have been salivating a noticably and vommiting. I do think this vet may have been a little premature to say that it may have been viral meningitis and as he is a perky little kitten again, I perhaps wouldnt worry about that too much.
Thanks Elaine. I did ask if maybe he had fallin and bumped his head and Vet said he did not look like a kitten suffering from Trauma.
I also now think Vet diagnosed wrongly but I do know Bart was quite poorly last night when I took him down. He could not even walk across table without falling over and then he just sat down and head started drifting to side until his nose was resting on table. Really strange to have no symptoms this morning

Catsey Junior

30-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar
I'm so sorry to hear about little Bart, but pleased that he seems to be on the mend again.

I understand that young kittens can sometimes get various illnesses that can cause lots of different symptoms, including loss of balance, lethargy, loss of appetite etc. My vet said that by the time they have performed the tests to identify the particular cause, small kittens can go downhill & die quite quickly. The answer is usually to prescribe a general all-purpose anti-biotic & hope that it covers whatever the kitten has contracted. My kitten recovered quite well in 48 hours & was back to normal within a few days. I even resorted to feeding him teaspoons of yoghurt on one occasion as I was worried that he'd become dehydrated & this was the only thing he'd touch. He then grew up to be a yoghurt fan (& thief ) & I always wondered if this was linked to his illness as a kitten.

Best wishes for Bart's speedy recovery.
Thanks Willbar. Bart's temp was okay when examined so Vet said he would not treat with antibiotics but give anti inflammatory.
I am owned by 12 dogs and have not got a clue when it comes to kittens lol. I had a cat I rescued from hospital grounds and she lived till she was 23 and had never been to a Vet at all following her vaccs Its all so worrying as this little one was bought for my son

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #13

It sounds like a complete mystery.

Do you know what tests the vet has done?

Catsey Junior

30-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It sounds like a complete mystery.

Do you know what tests the vet has done?
He only carried out a sort of neurological test last night and took Bart's temp. He then spouted Viral Meningitis after asking me if he could have gotten near anything that could have poisoned him.
Obviously I will be asking more if I get to pick Bart up and bring him home tonite as it was so sad watching the poor little mite suffer last night and I would feel better if I actually knew what had happened

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #15

Just to perhaps reassure you Bart, I once had a foster kitten who turned extrememly bad one night. I took him to the vets, stopping the car a few times as I thought he had passed, and when we got to the vets he gave out very little hope. The next day that kitten was completely back to normal, and we never did find out what caused his problems!!

Hopefully you have the wee one home tonight, and he is reunited with your little boy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
30-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #16

Sorry to hear about how worried you have been about your little one - I hope that he feels much better soon, and that all goes well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #17

Sorry to har about your little kitten. What a worry for you. You did the best thing in getting him to a vet ASAP. I hope you can find out what was wrong and that he is completely better soon. Welcome to the forum by the the way!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #18

welcome to the forum, only just caught this thread. I am so pleased Bart seems to be on the mend. Look foward to hearing all about him once he has recovered and your twelve Dogs :O

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
30-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #19

Happier to hear that Bart is much better for you but that his illness is a mystery Hopefully it will be a one-off and he'll be right as rain again. Give him lots of cuddles from us on here He's had a traumatic introduction to us all but we'd love some pics of him when he's home with you

Catsey Junior

30-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #20

Well I thank you all once again for your kind thoughts and posts.
Phoned Vets at 3pm to be told that Bart has been a normal acting kitten all day.
Unfortunately this Vet practise uses so many different Vets so it was not the one that had seen him last night but she did say she had read what other Vet had written and was surprised to see a normal kitten this morning.
Anyways no tests done but seemingly 1st Vet gave 1 anti inflammatory injection only.
£102.46 later Bart is home and back to his playful, nutty self and Vet just says to keep an eye on him.

Alexgirl73 That is just what he was like last night, just kept fallin over onto his side with eyes closing

Hopefully he will stay healthy now and I can try and capture piccies to let you all see the tiny little Nutter that had me so worried