Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbys
25-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

any advice

one of my cats has had diarrhoea on and off for a few weeks. She is hyperthyroid so my vet suspected that her levels were raised and that was the cause, but her results came back as normal. I was advised to put her on a sensitivity diet earlier this week and then to worm her again tomorrow. I have to go back to vets next week if no improvement. Today I have seen blood in her poo, so now I am thinking the worst. Has anybody had any experience of this or advice?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Re: any advice

Was the blood bright in colour or was it dark? If it was bright then it might be down to her straining. Either way, it would be advisable to talk to your vet about it. Should it turn out to be a sensitivity issue try also adding some slippery elm bark to her food, you can buy it in Holland and Barrat, either sprnkle some on her food, which she may not like too much as it does have a slight bitter taste or you can make up a syrup by bringing it to the boil and simmering for a few minutes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
25-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

She may well have a bug, the next step your vet may consider may be antibiotics, she may need a sample sent off to determine this and which antibiotic to use or a blood sample may give a hint of infection if any of the white blood cells are raised.
If she does have an infection the thyroid levels may register as lower than they truely are.
Not much help but I wouldn't be too worried about the blood if it is fresh because it may just be because she has been straining so much.

Catsey Junior

25-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Thanks Elaine and Farthing, Your advice is helpful as I could only think the worst. I feel a bit better now. The blood was bright red, But I wouldn't imagine she had to strain as she has diarrhoea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your cat. I can't offer any better advise but I do hope that you and your vet can discover what's wrong with your cat very soon.

Catsey Junior

25-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Sorry to hear about your cat. I can't offer any better advise but I do hope that you and your vet can discover what's wrong with your cat very soon.
Thanks, I hope so!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #7

Poor girl, I do hope the vet can get it sorted.

Catsey Junior

25-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Poor girl, I do hope the vet can get it sorted.
Thanks Dandysmom!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
25-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #9

Sorry to hear about that. Must be very worrying for you. Hoep she feels lots better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
25-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

I'm sorry to hear your cat isn't well at the moment. Even if she isn't straining to go to the loo, she could still bleed as the gut will be irritated.