Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #41

Re: Fifi hospitalised

No idea about how cats get cat flu hun, I thought they were vaccinated against it As she is an indoor puss is it possible she has caught a human strain of the virus. I don't know so I couldn't tell you. I just hope with all my heart she comes right and that this worry is lifted from your shoulders. Loved the fact she purred when you stroked her- I choked up reading that

http://www.allaboutpets.org.uk/facts...h/cat-flu.aspx
This may be useful,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #42

Poor babe. Hope things improve for her. (((hugs)))) for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
01-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #43

My understanding of cat flu (and this is what the vet told me about Bronwyn who is a carrier) is that they vaccinate using a broad spectrum antivirus however because there are millions of different strains of cat flu they cannot vaccinate against it completely. Even Bronwyn who is a carrier is vaccinated (as advised by my vet). Because although she is a carried of one strain she could pick up another.

I also read that it is possible for humans to bring the cat flu into their own home (virus can be transmitted onto your feet/hands etc).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #44

I choked up too reading about the purring; leaving them there is so hard even though it's the place they need to be .....

That's unnerving to think you could be bringing the virus in on your shoes, etc; did not know that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #45

aww i hope shes better soon. Harris had cat f;u as a young kitten before we got him and hes daft as a brush now, none the worse for it, hopefully fifi will be the same xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #46

Hoping she picks up and is home soon...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby with ginger & a black & white
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #47

Hope she back purring with at home soon x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #48

Cat flu and feline calicivirus etc are all pretty similar as to how they can be spread and there are always differing strains on the go. As with humans, if under stress, the immune system will have been hampered and makes her more suseptible to illness. She has been through alot of late which may be a contributory factor.
As EmmaG has already said it can be carried into the house on clothes, hands etc.
http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/c...owners/catflu/

Wishing Fifi a full recovery xxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #49

Thank you for the info. Yes, researching it a bit has shown me that maybe if my Mum's cat is a carrier she (my Mum) could have brought it in whilst looking after the boys last week; or Myshka may have picked it up when outside via another cat and transmitted it. Fifi herself doesn't go out.

I'm in a bit of a muddle tonight. A whole lot of emotions are surfacing but the catalyst is I'm so very worried about my little girl and the thought of her on her own in her metal 'cage' is making me very sad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
01-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #50

*hugs* it really is horrible when your pets are ill and away from you. at least she will be getting lots of rest and reserving her energy to get better! i worried when mondo was in but when i went to see him he was quite happily letting the vet carry him about, prob loving the extra attention!