Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
15-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Cost of BUN test?

As my old boy is due for his booster next month, I am planning to have his BUN test done at the same time (he's only ever had his initial test which was nearly 2 years ago). Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it will cost? I know it will only take 30 mins to get the result though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
15-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Re: Cost of BUN test?

It really depends on your vet, we offer a 'senior health screening' at reduced cost but a general blood profile costs £32. It sounds as if your practice has an in-house analyser but obviously if they have to send the sample to an external lab, the cost will vary. The best thing to do is give them a call and ask.

Catsey Junior

15-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #3

Thanks. Yes they do have a in house analyser (one of our cat care assistants used to work for them so she told me about the fact it only takes half an hour, plus they take the blood from the leg as opposed to the neck, and the fact that they can at least start the test in the premises as soon as they have enough blood).

I had a look at their website where they have the prices of common procedure (castration/neutering, vaccination and dental work) but BUN tests are not included on the page.

If all else fails, then when I book him for his booster next month, then I will have to ask then, but I would prefer a rough estimate so at least I have some idea how much I would have to fork out for on top of the usual booster costs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

Sorry dimwit here, what's a BUN test?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Sorry dimwit here, what's a BUN test?
I was about to ask that angie. Going to google it now...

Found this angie: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bun-levels.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
15-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #6

It depends on whether you want full or mini bloods done, and if you want a thyroid test done too. We are about £10 to take a sample and about £20 ( I think, you would think I would know. ) for mini bloods. The thyroid tests is more because it has to be sent off. There is no difference whether the vet takes blood from the neck or leg with our vet, it only costs more if the cat has to be gassed sown first.

Catsey Veteran

15-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I was about to ask that angie. Going to google it now...

Found this angie: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bun-levels.html
Thanks for that RCR - it's really amazing how similar we all are - cats, dogs, people I mean.

Catsey Junior

13-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #8

An update: it cost £12.60 on top of the booster fee, so it wasn't too bad. In the end, they took it from the leg, and he was very well behaved too. He had a clean bill of health, and the vet said he was looking very well for his age (which is good since he is an older FIV kitty). The vet also commented on the fact he does not have many teeth left, but the ones that are there, are in good condition. He is plenty fat enough, so he is getting enough food.

Because of the fact the appointment was late in the day (and they got delayed a little because someone's elderly Labrador had to be kept in), they didnt run the BUN test until the next morning, and it came back as 9. Like I previously mentioned, he only had his initial 2 years ago, which was 13. So not only in the 2 years (and nearly 2 months I had him) he has improved in every single way, his kidneys are a lot better.

So yes, once I got off the phone I was well happy

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #9

That's very good news for your cat - sorry, no idea what his name is. It's wonderful that he's improved so much.

Catsey Junior

13-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
That's very good news for your cat - sorry, no idea what his name is. It's wonderful that he's improved so much.
His name is Pickle (I didnt name him that though, he came into the Cats Protection with that name). He is 12, or rather we suspect he is 12, as the vet just put on the paperwork "10 years +". Unfortunately he was a stray (for years judging by the way he reacted when I first got him) so we will never get an exact age.

So yes, it was a great, although pleasant shock, about what the vet said. The only thing that looks wrong with him, is that he gets runny eyes due to blocked tear ducts, which is nothing to worry about (unfortunately he wont let me clean them!). His coat, heart, eyes (apart from the tear duct issue) were given a clean bill of health, so obviously he is thriving.