Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
11-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Petition

I've started a petition to encourage landlords to accept pets in the houses they rent out.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/l...d_accept_pets/

Please sign it if you agree that landlords should not refuse a prospective tenant on the grounds that the person has pets and pass the link round to as many people as you can. Thank you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

Re: Petition

I would sign it RCR but are the stats's factual? The thing is, and I'm all for pet friendly accomodation, I am pretty sure landlords have had to clean up the mess left from bad tenants/pet owners. Why should they foot the bill for irresponsible pet ownership?
I cannt imagine how I'd feel if I were forced into a situation whereby I couldnt take my animals with me and I do sympathise.
I just dont know how a petition to try to force landlords into allowing pets is going to work...

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I would sign it RCR but are the stats's factual? The thing is, and I'm all for pet friendly accomodation, I am pretty sure landlords have had to clean up the mess left from bad tenants/pet owners. Why should they foot the bill for irresponsible pet ownership?
I cannt imagine how I'd feel if I were forced into a situation whereby I couldnt take my animals with me and I do sympathise.
I just dont know how a petition to try to force landlords into allowing pets is going to work...
I was referring to the landlords who refuse to have pets regardless, maybe should have made that a bit clearer.

The first statistic is from my experience in the rescue I worked at, the other statistic is a factual one I found on another site.

My boyfriend has been in that situation - he had to give his female cat up when he moved into rented because the landlord flat out refused to accept her. Obviously the landlord would be allowed to have a say as to what pets were allowed but when they refuse to accept pets full stop then there's something wrong, when they know nothing about the pet involved, not even it's species.

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

Refuse to have pets regardless of what? Surely it's their right to have non-smokers or non pet owners?

Who is the petition to be presented to once you have all the signatures required?

The other thing is and again I know there will always be unforseen circumstances, but people who take on pets really really ought to be thinking about the animals long term future as well as their own.

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
The first statistic is from my experience in the rescue I worked at, the other statistic is a factual one I found on another site.

Do you know it to be fact? Or did the other person on the other site just present it as fact?

Obviously the landlord would be allowed to have a say as to what pets were allowed but when they refuse to accept pets full stop then there's something wrong, when they know nothing about the pet involved, not even it's species.
I really dont understand what you are trying to say here.

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Refuse to have pets regardless of what? Surely it's their right to have non-smokers or non pet owners?

Who is the petition to be presented to once you have all the signatures required?

The other thing is and again I know there will always be unforseen circumstances, but people who take on pets really really ought to be thinking about the animals long term future as well as their own.
They shouldn't force pet owners to have to give up their pets though. In the case of my boyfriend he had to give his cat up when his ex girlfriend left and he had to move - no warning or anything, she just upped and left.

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
I really dont understand what you are trying to say here.
What I mean is a landlord would be able to say they allow, say, well behaved dogs/cats/rabbits etc, it would be up to the pet owner to ensure their pet whatever was well behaved.

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
They shouldn't force pet owners to have to give up their pets though. In the case of my boyfriend he had to give his cat up when his ex girlfriend left and he had to move - no warning or anything.

Yes and that is a shame but it is NOT the landlords fault.

The prospective landlord does not force animals into rescue, people do. The landlord had no part in your b/f getting the cat in the first place so why is he now accountable for the cat being in rescue?

It would be wonderful if there were more pet friendly rented accomodation but you cannt force landlords into it.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

There are landlords who accept pets and there are landlords who don't accept pets ........ therefore if you have a pet, surely you would look for accomodation where pets are accepted.

Catsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes and that is a shame but it is NOT the landlords fault.

The prospective landlord does not force animals into rescue, people do. The landlord had no part in your b/f getting the cat in the first place so why is he now accountable for the cat being in rescue?

It would be wonderful if there were more pet friendly rented accomodation but you cannt force landlords into it.
Boyfriend was left with the cat to rehome and rabbits to rehome, cat ended up at Cats Protection because he took her in and claimed ignorance about the fact you have to phone up, think it was both boyfriend and ex girlfriend who got the cat when they were setting up home ... ex girlfriend left then boyfriend had a breakdown