Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #11

Re: Failed Castration?

thats a strange one ive never heard of that before let us know what the outcome is

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
08-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #12

ive never heard of it in cats but i owned a rig(horse with 1 testicle)he had been castrated early and 1 hadnt descended never did!so i guess its very possible in a cat or dog i think she needs to change vets difficult or not they should be looking for the best way forward with him..good luck with it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #13

an animals testicles start of in the abdomen & then descend into the scrotum (usually at an early age) but sometimes it can take a few months for them to descend. (sometimes one will & the other will stay in the abdomen)
If the cat was castrated with one testicle & they couldn't find the undescended one then the owner should have been told about it.
the condition is called cryptochidism / a cryptochid cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
an animals testicles start of in the abdomen & then descend into the scrotum (usually at an early age) but sometimes it can take a few months for them to descend. (sometimes one will & the other will stay in the abdomen)
If the cat was castrated with one testicle & they couldn't find the undescended one then the owner should have been told about it.
the condition is called cryptochidism / a cryptochid cat
Yes I have a cat like this, Claude had only one testicle and they 'went in' to the abdomen and couldn't find it He was described as monorchid to me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
09-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #15

I *think* cryptochid is when there is one or no testicles descended - so they do have 2 testicles but they haven't descended.

I *think* monorchid is when the animal only has one testicle.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
14-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #16

I know my vet will not castrate under 6 months because she says that things have not fully developed. Maybe castration was too early. In females (definitely in dogs) it only requires a small piece to be left behind for them to display signs of coming into season etc.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
14-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #17

I haven't heard of this but I would definately get a second opion Soupie... The vet doesnt seem to want to admit his mistake in my opionion... hope you guys find get help soon and get it sorted.... good luck xx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
16-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #18

If the cat was cryptorchid then they should definately have told your sister and preferably opened his groin/adbdo to remove the undesended testicle at the same time!
A second opinion is definately needed and if there are any doubts about 2 testes having been removed he will probably need opening up to remove the offending testicle, this is very important as cryptorchid testicles quickly become tumours. Hoping your sis can get it sorted out soon, poor lad sounds very frustrated!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #19

I agree with Viccki on this one. I had a male chihuahua that only had one descended testicle and when he was neutered they opened him up and found the other one. He therefore had no further problems. I would be tempted to take him to another vet as your sister's vet may be reluctant to admit that he has made a mistake. The sooner this is sorted the better because, as Vicki say's, there is a higher chance of it becoming a tumour.