Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll.
19-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

Is it fair ???

is it fair that someone has found a cat and is just going to keep it ??

The person has taken the cat to the vet to see if its chipped it isn't... so can they just keep it .

I don't think is fair, I would do what I could to find the owners, I know what its like to have a cat go missing as some of you might remember peaches and cream went missing in december and still has not been found .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Re: Is it fair ???

I am not to sure on that score Lara, I do think to be fair to both the cats and their owners all cats should be chipped as soon as they get them even if they are going to be indoor cats (as escapes do happen), then that would stop this dilema from happening.
But I do think that she should ask around first and see.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 B+W Moggies
19-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

I don't think it is fair! I have to say my priority was to get the girls chipped as soon as, as Leesy said escapes do happen. But as we are all human the person OP is on about should really do all they can to reunite the cat with its owner. Obviously with microchipp ruled out, They really should inform as many local rescues and vets as possible and possibly put some poster up locally

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll.
19-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #4

Microchipping is so important.... and this just shows how important it is, Its just I dont feel that enough has been done to find the owners.... they could be soooo upset.

Catsey Junior

19-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #5

even my rabbits are chipped!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

I am sure the "official" rescues do all necessary to find an owner and I do agree that microchipping is essential.

Many years ago, I was in the position where a stray cat came to my home and I took her in. I certainly asked the neighbours and put a postcard in the window of the corner shop, but to no avail. I kept her - my lovely Smudge.

Now I am in the position of having adopted a cat from a rescue. I have to trust that they did all they could to trace her owner, but I do admit that I often wonder whether she had a caring family somewhere - but they didn't chip her for whatever reason.

IMO an individual SHOULD inform any local vets, and rescues, perhaps ask their immediate neighbours - and if there is a local paper or shop put up a Found sign. Beyond that I don't see what other reasonable action they should take. Neither am I sure if there is any time limit before the person could say with a free conscience, "s/he's mine now".

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
19-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #7

Micro-chips aren't 100% either... They can migrate around the body under the skin... ie. we found a micro-chip in a cats back paw tail etc. So really the WHOLE body should be scanned, not just neck, back and front legs... Sometimes chipped cats, are chipped then years later it wanders around body then can't be found, and has to be re-chipped... Bet the vets didn't tell you that one...

And no, she shouldn't keep the cat until she has contacted every possible animal centre, posted posters saying it has been found etc. before keeping it!!!! Even place advert in local newspaper to say it has been found!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #8

i agree that every effort should be made to find the original owner.

However - has the original owner made every effort to find their cat. You say that the cat was scanned for a microchip - where? At a vets? At a rescue? Surely those places hold lists of lost pets and would compare the stray before them with those on their list. So, has the first owner tried very hard?

Having had a cat lost for 6 weeks, I would be comforted if I thought he had found a lovely new home, rather than been killed or injured and never found. However, mine was chipped and I contacted vats and rescues asking for him to be registered. He was returned safe and sound - and I gave the finder a generous reward.

Theer are usually 2 sides to any case

Catsey Junior

19-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #9

OP did say the cat in question didn't scan for a chip

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #10

Edit.
Sorry - nothing more to say .... I misread Louise and responded on that basis. It wasn't relevant so i've deleted