Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Shades of green..

Whilst in Dawlish yesterday we passed a cottage that had opened its doors to the public for the day. In the front garden there were tables filled with bric a brac, any reasonable offer accepted. At the side of the cottage there was a big iron gate which led through to the back and for 50p you could wander around the garden and also sit on the big lawn where you would be offered a tray of tea if you wished..

What was at the back of that little house was unbelievable........ the garden appeared to go up and up a hilly slope with winding paths and seats every so often.
At the top of the slope were rhododendrum trees and bushes of every colour imaginable in full bloom. I was so taken by the sheer beauty of the garden that I only remembered the camera when we came back down to the bottom! The work that must have gone into that garden was amazing ......... an elderly couple owned the house and they held an open day every so often to raise money for different charities. After we had looked around, they asked if we had enjoyed their garden.......... we certainly did!!

This is a pic taken at the base of the hill and it was like this all the way to the top .............. I must try to get to see the garden again and take more pics!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #2

Re: Shades of green..

What a lovely garden Mags! Fits your title perfectly - all those shades of green. You enjoyed your day out then? Good thing you went yesterday and didn't put it off until today. Weather fairies were smiling on you.

Global Moderator

15-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks Angie ..... we were going to go on Tuesday but noticed they were due to have showers. We decided to go yesterday instead...... if you go all that way I think you need a sunny day to enjoy it properly and yesterday was perfect..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Looks lovely Mags Did you have tea on the lawn?
Glad you had a nice day out.

Global Moderator

15-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Looks lovely Mags Did you have tea on the lawn?
Glad you had a nice day out.
No Elaine, we declined the tea on the lawn!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
No Elaine, we declined the tea on the lawn!
I never decline a nice brew

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #7

That is simply spectacular! An amazing garden, and to think it was created by the cottage owners...looks as if it could be the garden of a great house or at an arboretum! Thanks for sharing that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #8

Wow, that is amazing Mags, what I wouldn't give for a garden like that..... Lovely part of the country too, lucky people. Thanks fro sharing, I really enjoyed looking at those photos and your description was perfect!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #9

That is my idea of heaven I totaly think your title is apt Mags but could equally have ben a little slice of heaven on Earth...........I would give a lot for a garden like that but one of those I would give would have to be work I could not go to work and leave a garden like that.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #10

What a beautiful garden....!