Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Blue Bi-colour Ragdoll.
16-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

How common is feline aids.

Ok back story, anyone remember the thread about when I was having to look after the cat giving birth to kittens? She had three, they rehomed the female of the litter and kept the two males of the litter, over the last few days they've asked for all the ones they kept to be rehomed via the rescue Im voluntering for, but then they rehomed the mum through a friend and Im fostering the kittens until a home can be found, and as the person who has the mother has three kids and was worried about mum she booked her a vet appoitment for today, and I helped with the kids in the waiting room, the vet agrees that it seems like there is a underlying cause to the weight problem, mum has a infection and is on synalox for a week, but the vet is still worried about a underlying cause, if enough improvement hasn't occured by next Wednesday blood tests will happen, but the vet has said the most likely cause is FIV, but we have to wait and see for any improvement, we're all hoping it isn't that right now, as I want the best for mum and all babies, and have let the rescue know of the concerns. But how common is it? I know theres a good chance its not that, and her coat is thin right now, and she's not eating a lot, but how common is FIV and is there any other problems that can show simalar signs but have a more positive outcome? I'm just really hoping that its what the sanctuary think, that mums too young to have kittens, and has got too run down, and now just needs a bit of tlc before coming to full health, which she will get, new owners got her on science plan and some little posh meat, tiny amounts in each one and is gold with a persian on the front at 62p for each one, and she is getting at least three a day, and new owners looking at designer collars apparently, I think mums gonna be spoiled, she's also gonna be spayed as soon as the owner gets the ok so no more babies, but right now I am concerend about all cats involved, and if it is FIV anyother cats that might have it aswell as theres no knowing if it is this where it came from.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Re: How common is feline aids.

It's estimated that around 7% of the UK cat population are diagnosed as FIV+ each year, usually cats who are diagnosed are middle aged/elderly and almost all are entire and un-neutered.
Most cats with FIV can lead perfectly normal lives, usually after the cat has been infected, it may have a short period of illness, slightly feverish, lethargy and or weight loss can all be symtoms and can all go un-noticed. The cat may then go on for years before it becomes ill again and become more suseptible to chronic flu, gingivitis, chronic rhinitis and other chronic infections. Sometimes the cat may die of something completely unrelated.
This is not usually an imediate death sentence, the snap test that is usually carried out at the vets is very unreliable and produces alot of false possitives, it is better to have the test sent to a lab in order to have this diagnosed properly and much more acurately.
There is ofcourse EVERY chance that this poor kitty has something completely different.
http://www.fabcats.org/cat_group/pol...ments/fiv.html
http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/vet/cad...iencyvirusfiv/

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Blue Bi-colour Ragdoll.
16-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the links Im just at the moment hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst, and in preparing I mean I want to learn more about it, I'll be speaking to the sanctuary face to face on thurs when I am there, to try and find more out more about it, and am letting them know all I know about mum as I know it, as although she's not in their care if its infectious Im sure that they will want to know, but I am so pleased that the first link says that only a small percentage of kittens born to infected queen will be infected, so hopefully if she does have it I'll be able to let the owner of the litter sister know and they can all be tested to see what they have or don't have, but I was worried that they would be at a lot higher risk. Just a case of waiting and seeing right now, and I'm not good at that lol, Im not sure what bloods will be taken, whether it be at the vets, but the new owners been estimated around £100 so I would hope thats going to labs and more relible.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

I had a cat a few years ago was diagnosed with FIV at 19, he died within a couple of months, but the homeopathic vet said it wouldn't have been the FIV (cat Aids) that killed him, he had hyperthyroidism as well but I didn't know if this was treatable at the time or not.

FIV is contracted through bodily fluids, it weakens the body's immune system and makes the cat very run down, (so by neutering the mum it ensures she will not be hounded by potential suitors and carriers in later life). It can also be passed on to her kittens who may be born with it or contracted through cat fights where bites are involved.

I don't know how common it is but as elaine says there are plenty of other things that show the symptoms you describe, perhaps your vet just wants to run some tests as a process of elimination and to rule it out.

I would try mum on some fresh raw chopped up chicken to give her some vitality back, just a little at first to see how she gets on, and watch that any tinned gravy food doesn't give her diarrhoea IF it's in gravy. You can chop the fresh raw chicken breast and freeze it in the ice cube tray, then knock out a piece on the morning you want it and give it to the cat the minute it's defrosted. Never give a cat anything but fresh chicken if it's raw, in fact mine go mental waiting for it to defrost if they see me taking it out of the freezer so I sit it on the counter and they end up having their chicken chunks half frozen!

All the best and I hope mum gets back on her feet soon.