Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
10-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1

Grass seeds!

It seems to be grass seed season with a vengeance here Yesterday OH combed loads of little hooked seeds out of Jason's back and tail and I keep finding those horrid foxtails ones like big darts caught up in Morgan's coat. Good job I have to groom him daily as I found one snuggled into the hair in the inner flap of his ear yesterday, thankfully it got no further! I took the dog out for a street walk this morning and they're everywhere, at the base of walls, beside lamposts and any little bit of poorly tended ground. I dread any of them getting one down inside their ears! One poor cocker on our breed forum was at the vets having one removed and the vet found 4 in her ear

Please check your pets regularly!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Re: Grass seeds!

Thanks for the warning MrsH - yes, Monty gets loads of the little seeds with hooks and has been for a while; also cleaver seeds. Haven't had any of the dart ones yet - sound like a barley-like one. I'm sure that he's got hair like velcro!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
10-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

I found a few on leo the other day...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

I know they are awful. I have to say there are some benefits to winter!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Good reminder MrsH!
I check my boy everytime he is in and out of the house, he very often comes in covered in burrs (the sticklebud thingys) but fortunately loves them being combed out. I have a Birman too, loves being outside in the field, and then as you say, at this time of year brings in almost half of the plant life indoors!