Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #11

Re: Bernie

Id you have concerns get him checked out. I get my cats over 10 tested yearly in the hope of catching things early. How old is Bernie, if he isn't losing weight as such but him muscle cover is changing it could even be something like arthritis.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #12

Agree with others - getting him checked best thing to do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
01-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #13

Fingers crossed for Bernie, hope your worries are resolved today Elaine. Let's hope it's just a summer slimming thing. .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

Couldnt get an appointment for bloods today, so he goes in next week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #15

((((HUGS)))) for both you and Bernie.

Catsey Veteran

08-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #16

Ok dokes, Bernie had his bloods done today. Vet felt his thyroid and thought is was a little enlarged so we did his T4 count aswell.
He has lost 100gms in weight since the begining of the year, 200gms since his blood tests last year. He has lost muscle tone on his hind quarters.
T4 count was well within normal range, so not a hyperactive thyroid.
His urea and creatinine also well with in normal range, so not crf.
The only abnormalities are, Glob 70gl, normal range is 28 - 51 and TP which is 93gl, normal range is 57 - 89.
So we are still at a loss as to exactly what's going on with him. Vet wants a urine sample just to confirm that there isnt anything wrong with kidney function, the only things he can think of are athsma, but his breathing is fine, some sort of allergy or that his kidneys are not processing the protein properly and therefore it is being released back into the blood stream, i.e. the onset of CRF.
Hopefully once we get a urins sample, we will have a better idea is all I can say at this time. But I do now have my investigative head on and will be scouring the internet to find out what I can.

Catsey Veteran

08-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #17

Sorry to hear about the weight loss and muscle tone, which is what triggered you to take him back and proves you were right to do so. Hope that the urine sample will give you and the vet some ideas for further investigation, otherwise it is a worry with no concrete cause. Silly question really, but are you happy with the amount that Bernie eats?

Cuddles for Bernie-Boo and ((((hugs)))) for you Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

08-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #18

Of late Bernie's eating habits have changed, sometimes he eats a fair amout and other days he doesnt eat much at all, which was something else that was niggling me. Since his arrival here, he always had a good appetite.
Have read a little and ruled out parasites as he is regularly treated. Ruled out liver damage as those levels were all in normal range which may leave us with a pancreatic/bowel issue or possibly corona virus (the latter worries me more).

Catsey Veteran

08-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #19

I know nothing about corona virus, will have to look it up. How old is Bernie approximately?

Catsey Veteran

08-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #20

Aprox 10 but may be older.