Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 2 moggies 1 maincoon
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

a bit of help plz

hiya every1 my mummy cat stayed away from her 8 wk old kittens and did not return untill the morning and when she came back i noticed all her nipples where swollen and red and looked sore is this because thers is too much milk? and is there anything i can do to help to stop it from hurting her she is still nursing her kittens at the min but it seems to be uncomfortable for her and she keeps licking her nipples all the time thanks in advace

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #2

Re: a bit of help plz

At 8 weeks the kittens are old enough to be weaned; I suspect the mum cat was starting the process by staying away. I've never had a nursing queen, so don't know how long it will take for her milk to dry up; hopefully, someone with experience will be along with an answer. I hope she didn't get outside... a nursing queen can get pregnant again!! She'll be spayed now after this litter??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #3

I'm not sure from reading your posting whether the kittens are 8 weeks old or whether there are 8 x one week old kittens. If the former then I'm surprised she is still allowing them to feed from her but in any case you need to get her to a vet so that any problem can be identified, you wouldn't want to ignore possible mastitis would you?

I think it unfortunate that she managed to get out, she could easily get pregnant again or pick up infections that she can give to her kittens. Please get her spayed as soon as possible. Hope she's going to be ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

My first guess would be mastitis - are the glands hard to the touch? Your cat needs to see a vet for antibiotics at least. She will be very uncomfortable and I'm surprised that she is still allowing her kittens to suckle at all if they are 8 weeks old.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

I agree with everyone else. I am surprised that you allowed her out again as she could easily get pregnant. Best advice would be to get her neutered asap!! There are certainly enough cats and kittens in this world without adding to the number.

05-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

she got out of window when i was not looking and i am goin 2 get her spayed as soon as the kittens have gone and we have started weaning the kittens but mummy still wants to nurse them. the kittens are 8 weeks old and there is only 3 of them, and the swelling has gone down now and her nipples are back normal so could it av just been a milk build up? as she was away from them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #7

Please dont take this the wrong way but we are not vets and cannt see for our selves how swollen or red the poor cats nipples actually are. I'd definately have her to the vets asap and get her booked for her spay.
The fact that she was out all night may even suggest that she has already mated again .
By not having her spayed and allowing her to get out puts her and the kittens at great risk of infectious diseases.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #8

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38077

07-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

i was asking for a bit of advise not a lecture and i am gettin her spayed as i have said as soon as she stops nursing her kittens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
07-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozza90
i was asking for a bit of advise not a lecture and i am gettin her spayed as i have said as soon as she stops nursing her kittens
I think that what you did get was advice, though perhaps more than you wanted. What makes this such a good site to ask questions is the range of experience and that we all care very deeply about cat wellfare but that also means that you will get a broader picture at the same time as direct answers. Just like you, we want the best for your cats and kittens but where you can actually do something for them, all we can do is advise.