Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Black Short-Hair
MSH is Male
02-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #1

Retirement Home Needed for 2 Elderly Cats - Manchester Area

Hi,

I really hope there's someone out there who can help.

I'm moving to the US later this year so, with great regret, need to find a loving, new home for my pair of old and faithful cats; Eric and Treacle.

They're both short-haired black cats with yellow/green eyes, have been with me for over 19 years and have been through several, domestic house moves during that time but, at this stage of their lives, a 12 hour flight and relocation to another country might be asking a bit too much.

They are in great condition considering their age with no medical conditions whatsoever, are microchipped and had their vaccinations updated in October 2014. Eric's slowed a little and is down to his last big canine tooth while Treacle still looks and behaves like a 6-month old kitten.

Other than the occasional escape through an open window during the summer, they're both lifelong house cats.

Individually, Eric is big, daft and friendly who will try to follow you everywhere. He does prefer a diet based on small chunks in gravy, however. I'd name the current brand but, because he's a cat, sod's law says he'd suddenly go off it if I did. Treacle on the other hand, is more shy or standoffish...except when she's hungry (and will eat pretty much anything) or wants to be played with.

Despite being siblings, they aren't especially close. They don't fight but definitely prefer their own space. They can both be a bit vocal, usually before breakfast, but other than that, are very low maintenance and undemanding so long as they have full bellies and clean litter.

Because of their age and how they've lived the majority of their lives, I don't think a new home with young children or other pets would be be a good idea.

They both have their own carriers that have only been used a handful of times which can be kept by anyone generous enough to adopt the cats. They were a lot bigger than I imagined - one could comfortably accommodate both of them - and could be used as safe, sheltered beds while they settle in.

I've shared almost half my life with these two and the decision to give them up is one of the hardest I've ever made. I absolutely do not want them to see out their remaining time stuck in a small cage at a rescue centre like where I found them so hope there's somebody out there who can give them the lifestyle they deserve during their twilight years.

Many thanks.

Mark

Just remembered, here's some photos of them:

Eric

Treacle

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Re: Retirement Home Needed for 2 Elderly Cats - Manchester Area

Oh Mark. How sad that you have had to make this decision. I'm not an ideal candidate as I have both young(ish) children and other cats.

I do hope you can find a wonderful new home for your kits, I would suggest also joining one of the reputable FB groups for rescue cats and carefully vet any potential new owners as there are some unscrupulous so-and-so's out there.

Cats owned: Black Short-Hair
MSH is Male
05-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Hi Yola,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a member of FB (preview just showed me why you used the abbreviation) but it will definitely be worth taking a look. Are there any reputable ones you're aware of and might recommend, please?

Many thanks.

Mark

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Mark, the ones I belong to are Persian Rescue groups but I know there are other breed-specific ones around also, as well as mog rescues. That said, one of my Persian rescues also takes any cat that is in need of a home (space permitting) and they are called Rushden Persian Rescue. Not sure if admin will strip out that name though - hopefully not.