Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
26-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

T.G.I Friday

Good morning all, a bright sunny day here with very little humidity, phew.

Have a busy weekend of garden/shed clearing ahead, the mini skip has come and I'm going to fill it pretty quickly. There's still a lot of Ceri's old aviary equipment from his days of budgie keeping that needs to go, I have asked around but no takers. Some stuff like the humidifiers and oil radiators will be sold on free-ads but lots of wood and wire will be dumped.

The usual Friday awaits, Ceri has Stroke Club, as I have 2 hours free I'll go for a walk in the sun. No plans for the afternoon, I have some family history papers to sort out so may give them some attention. Have a happy day, love to all cats & dogs - hope they are all well behaved.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
26-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Re: T.G.I Friday

Morning posh, sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you!! I'm just at work the off to MIL for nephews treasure hunt for his birthday. MIL has a huge garden that the kids can run about in so we have been asked to go and help.

Lots of catsey chin tickles to all catsey pets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #3

Morning PP, Pamela. Quite nice here this morning, blue sky little fluffy white clouds and coolish. Trying to get washing out and dry before the storms that are forecast for tomorrow. Still need the rain ..... my gardening chap who doesn't live all that far away had a nice downpour in his garden yesterday morning, so Shelley's aim must have been a bit off!!!! Hopefully, tomorrow though!

You sound as if you are having a good clear out PP. Hope you manage to get it all sorted as you would like. How's the family history stuff going? I've not done any for a while.

Pamela, hope that Barney settles. I saw that he'd had an accident on your bed .... that's hard luck. I think that's called middening but I'm not sure about how you go about curing it.

Thanks for the chin tickles, I'll certainly pass those on when next my two lovelies come indoors! Have a good day all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
26-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Thanks Angie. We are looking into crate training him as he was a bit too possessive in our room last night to the extent I didn't get to sleep until after 3am. Our room has always been the place where the cats come at night for a cuddle. Has anyone crate trained their dog?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
26-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

evening all.
PP , hope you enjoyed your sunny walk.
Angie, sorry the rain didn't quite reach you, my aim has always been poor You can certainly have it tomorrow, i don't want it,lol.
Pamela, Malaika was crate trained when we got her and we did use it with her at first.
We tried with Kwame but he got so distressed and bit the bars, we were worried about his teeth so gave up. Fortunately they are both fine left out.
It will of course be more difficult with an older dog as the best time to start is when they are pups but there is no reason why you can't do it.
The most important thing is to make Barney think it's his den and a great place to go. Try him for very short periods initialy and always reward him for going in. You could try scattering treats to keep him busy. If he kicks off then i would try to only release him when he's quiet if poss.
I'm sure you know that the crate should never be used as a punishment, it should always be a pleasant place to go.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Well evening all. Of to work shortly. Been a hard week work wise and the warm weather has not helped. Tired before I start.

The day looks to have been very nice.

Pamela I have never crate trained a dog at all. You might find that Barney just had a wee in your room as your scent is so strong there. May well of been a one off.

Did the rescue say where he had slept previously ie in a crate or anything? And are you his first home or has he been rehomed previously? he may just need to be settled in and some rules.
>
As Shelley has said it has to be a safe place to go.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
26-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #7

Hi, I'm back again

My daughter's JR is crate trained and considers it very much her territory and although Poppy sleeps there too, she is put there when strangers enter the home as she's too bouncy for some folk! They are useful, when used right

Some mad action here earlier with our Pandora, she brought in a present for us, a live collared dove ( a youngster), poor thing lost a few feathers but managed to escape and flutter around the living room until Ceri caught it. A bit shocked, the dove soon recovered and took flight. Pandy was not pleased with us, we didn't scold her and told her she was clever but we rather she didn't bring us the local wildlife for closer inspection. So far we've had a sparrow fledgling (dead) a mouse ( dead) and some entrails, probably mouse.

Pearla and Posh were curious but have never tried to hunt; they like their food out of tins

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
27-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

phew, glad the Dove is ok