Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #1

Fireworks..

My new neighbours, who are really nice, have 3 young childrn, they have just told me they are geting fireworks for their kids this year..Everybody round here has animals, horses, dogs cats, goats a real mix of different things.so it looks like nov 5th this year is going to be awful...Our local villiage puts on a display, but they would rather set them off in their own garden!! I have one dog (Gypsy) who freaks out with fireworks, but what about the horses, how will they react?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #2

Re: Fireworks..

Do these neighbours have any animals themselves Moli? Some people just don't think how upsetting it can be for the poor pets. Let's hope Gypsy gets through it alright

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #3

We had them going off last night. Not only did it wake the nipper up, but the cats fair pooed themselves (sorry)!!. I think it's Diwalli (sp) at the moment and as we have a big Asian community we seem to get fireworks for about 3 weeks in a row coz they kind of run into guy fawkes . . .

I will be taking Dominik to an organized firework display as I don't really agree with holding domestic displays in built-up areas.

What about stray cats? We have some that I feed and I always fear for them at this time of year . . . they don't have a bed or sofa to hide under

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
17-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #4

You should try and tell them nicely that alot of the neighbours have pets and that they should post leaflets warning all the neighbours that theyre setting off fireworks and approx what time and date. So people can shelter their animals. My dogs hate fireworks but I always leave the tv on loud and the radio to block out as much as possible.

I love fireworks but sometimes people don't realise the consequences of them, last year I was nursing my dad in hospital and every bang i thought wld kill him - it was awful and upset me deeply (this yr that is all i will think of, i'm dreading it).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #5

Still find it incredible that anyone can purchase explosives!

Organised displays or nothing, that's what I say. Vote for me!!!!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
17-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Still find it incredible that anyone can purchase explosives!

Organised displays or nothing, that's what I say. Vote for me!!!!!!
I agree they shldn't be sold theyre far too powerful for gardens. I'm sure they never used to be so big loud and powerful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #7

Actually I'm glad you mentiond fireworks. I must remember to tell Jas' new owner that he is scared stiff of fireworks and she'd have to give him herbal sleeping tablets

I hate this time of year altho the past few years we've only had oranized displays, not many setting them off in their own gardens thankfully

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
17-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #8

I hate fireworks - I can't believe that it is legal to allow people to buy and set them off!
Where I am the problem is kids with fireworks and parents actually buy them and give them to their kids!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
17-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #9

I hope you manage to come to some sort of aggreement with your neighbours Moli.

I detest fireworks too and wish they were banned. Having a firework shop in the city centre doesn't help as every tom, dick and harry can buy them all year round

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #10

They don't bother my dogs or my cats although Claude and Clooney have not yet experienced bonfire night They don't even seem to upset the rabbits. Our horse is ok as long as he is in his stable when they go off. If fireworks go off when he is in a field he just charges around at top speed Horses are not fond of fireworks being flight animals