Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Gunman Moat cornered

Well anyone watching or keeping an eye on the situation of Raoul Moat the man who shot dead his ex girelfriends new partner and left her seriously injured and shot a policeman.
Seems has his back to a river and no where to go apparently he has a gun to his own head and the police are trying to negotiate with him and policemarksmen have their guns trained on him. Hope it ends peacefuly and nothing untoward happens.

Glad he has been located though, it was so weird on the TV to see armed police outside schools. Weird.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
09-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

Re: Gunman Moat cornered

How close do they have to be to use a Taser? It seems that they have been negotiating for a couple of hours now, very distressing for residents who are trapped in the exclusion zone.

I still find it hard to believe all this going on in an area I knew quite well in my early years. Birtley, the scene of the original attack, is just up the road form MrH's childood village, and Rothbury is a place we visited on Sunday afternoon drives out as well as rambling trips when I was at university.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

[quote=Kazz;609733]Well anyone watching or keeping an eye on the situation of Raoul Moat the man who shot dead his ex girelfriends new partner and left her seriously injured and shot a policeman.
Seems has his back to a river and no where to go apparently he has a gun to his own head and the police are trying to negotiate with him and policemarksmen have their guns trained on him. Hope it ends peacefuly and nothing untoward happens.

Glad he has been located though, it was so weird on the TV to see armed police outside schools. Weird.

Sadly, something we see all to often here in our gun-obsessed society, Kazz. I hope they can capture him without the loss of any more life.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #4

At least he's been found - a huge sigh of relief all round I'd have thought.

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #5

Yeah I wondered about a tazer but I suppose they have to be close enough but also certain enough that they can get a clear and disabling shot. Otherwise they are going to start a tragic chain of events.
Negotiating is the key I would think softly softly. But with the dark encroaching I suspect they will be looking to make this the end game.

Eileen its weird to see that many armed police in the UK. Scary actually.

They moved a couple of police dogs down there earlier.

Seems they have delivered him food now.....so has to be a breakthrough in the standoff.

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
At least he's been found - a huge sigh of relief all round I'd have thought.
Totaly.................

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #7

Kazz, after Dr. King was assasinated in '68 and the cities were burning and full of rioters, we had the National Guard in full military gear with guns on almost every downtown street corner in Washington to keep the peace. Our office was two blocks from the White House, and I passed them every day on the way to and from work. So guess maybe I'm a bit blase about it.

Hope there's a peaceful resolution to your standoff; how horrible for the nearby residents trapped in the situation.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #8

Been sat watching Sky news for the last 3 hours now! Just hope it ends without any further loss of life

Catsey Veteran

10-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Well it appears he shot himself........it makes you wonder what snaps in someones head that makes them shoot other people then themselves. Something must unplug in their circuitury....................

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #10

Once he was cornered I think this was always going to be the predicted outcome. I hope Rothbury doesn't get stuck with any notoriety as a result of this event, it's a beautiful place for a picnic by the stepping stones on the river and it would be lovely if it can get back to normality as quickly as possible. I also hope that those misguided "friends" of his who assisted him by providing cars and weapons are swiftly brought to justice, they bear a huge amount of responsibility for this tragic tale.