Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #1

Plant ideas needed please

I spent yesterday weeding and clearing out all the dead plants from my front flower bed. Also where my veggies were last year has been dug over, and I transplanted my euonymous there last autumn. So now this is all looking very bare, and I need some ideas please to fill it. Ideally I would like evergreen shrubs, low shedders if possible (too hard on my back otherwise). I'd like a mix of sizes and shapes, but nothing that goes mad

Here is the space;

And please ignore the grotty white platic fence , that is there as a temporary measure!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Re: Plant ideas needed please

Are you meaning suggest red robin....can't recall proper name...P something...I think, they are evergreenand you can keep them to whatever height oyu like by cutting back...mine stay about 3&1/2 - 4ft when they could easily do about 8ft. I just lop off to the height I want.
Also sundance the yellow Choyisa is a fantastic choice stays in colour all year white flowers in summer when mature...and they brighten an area being yellow and evergreen or everyellow.
A holly would be good too.... evergreen too and can get some stunning dark green or green and yellow....get the berries too....they would all be good "spines" or backbones of your planting......which you need then put some perrenials in that come up every year..............what do you like?

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #3

Hebes are nice they are a low level shrub....and mostly evergreen. An assortment of ones to choose from, Old Gold is nice...one in Mags pictures of Spring....

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #4

I have a couple of hebes already Karen, and I do like them, but don't want just those lol. If you can remember the name for red robin that sounds quite nice lol, and I like the idea of a holly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #5

I wonder if Kazz means Pyracantha? It has lovely red or orange berries and can be kept to size with pruning. Nandina also has interesting berries and colorful Autumn foliage. Or Winter jasmine, very early flowering yellow flowers like the too common forsythia (not evergreen). Dwarf juniper? Some bulbs: tulips, hyacinth, crocus?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I have a couple of hebes already Karen, and I do like them, but don't want just those lol. If you can remember the name for red robin that sounds quite nice lol, and I like the idea of a holly
I think this may be the "Red Robin" that Kazz describes ...........

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...uct_10258.html

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #7

I'm a little dubious about the holly; lovely but they can get very tall, mine is over 12 feet now. Camellias are gorgeous evergreens, not sure about your climate zone, though.

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I think this may be the "Red Robin" that Kazz describes ...........

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...uct_10258.html
Oh I like that, would bring such colour Thanks Mags

and just looked for the winter jasmine Eileen, that looks pretty, and ideal for some colour when all else has gone lol. Great ieas

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #9

I just saw Moli's camellia pic; I guess if she can grow them in Scotland they'd be OK for you too.

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #10

That the red robin....excellent colour for the garden, an essential.

The good thing about holly is the colour, evergreen, you can clip them hard and the berries..... Okay not hebes....how about a pieris???? tell you what is nice too is Broom....