Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Spare seed

Following on Yola's post a few days back about the excess seed in packets, I've planted my seeds and have loads of seed left that will just go to waste. If anyone would like some Super Marmande tomato, Thai hot pepper or Genoa basil seeds, just PM me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #2

Re: Spare seed

That's kind Eileen - but I have already planted one lot of tomato seeds and have my others ready for planting next month. I have just ordered Genoa and also a purple basil variety.

I'd also be willing to send spare seed to anyone who asks - not sure about if it's OK to send to USA - are there rules about importing seeds????

I sorted all my seeds out the other day and threw away loads of half empty packets that were way out of date. It really is a waste.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
19-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #3

I'm afraid that there are lots of regulations about sending seeds to other countries. It all about spread of disease etc.

If you have spare seed, pop it into some sealable poly bags, sqeeze excess air out, then place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. The seeds, if kept dry and cool should last for a couple of years.

It is moisture content and heat that 'ages' seeds, as long as you can keep these down your seed will store quite well.

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, Farthing. I've sent seed to the UK in the past (perhaps illegally??) with no problem, however. I'll give your suggestion a try, nothing to lose.

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #5

This method should work, I was a research technician in seed science and technology for 18 years and this was a major part of our work.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #6

And if anyone should know farthing ........ you should! How interesting - were you involved with the DNA seed banks?

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #7

No, I wasn't involved with that.
I worked at Aberdeen Uni with Alison Powell and Stan Matthews who looked into seed quality and how to identify the physiological age of the seeds then trying to find methods of improving quality and the better ways to store seed.
A lot of the work was important in developing countries where being able to keep your seeds at a high germination over a period of time, gave you a better chance of a good harvest, something very important to these countries. Many of our students came from indian, sri lanka, bangladesh, nepal, kenya, ethiopia etc.

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

That must have been very interesting, farthing.

I know how to test old seed for germination, so will give it a shot; if it's poor there'll still be time to order new seed by planting time. I usually grow the same varieties every year, what I like and what does well in my microclimate..