Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #61

Re: Smoking Ban

I'm beginning to think that this is coming to an end, or ought to. We have all expressed our opinions very clearly, and I'm happy to say, in a nice non-argumentive way; no one is changing her opinion. And, as was pointed out, whinging isn't going to change things. Anyone agree with me?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #62

Totally DM as I said it's been her in Scotland for over a year.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #63

amen to that Eileen!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
02-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
It would if someone forced there attentions on you.
That "could" happen but it wouldn't be a certainty, as soon as I walk into an environment that contains smoke it immediately effects my health.

And as for seeing "the other side" of the penny? why should I when it is MY health at risk?? If I wanted to slowly kill myself by smoking I would do, however I choose not to, my choice, and me NOT smoking doesn't effect anybody elses health.

Well at the end of the day it IS now banned, like a lot of other things in Law for the good of people, if we didn't have laws to protect people what kind of world would be live in??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #65

Final word from me maybe......
I do see and understand the points that non smokers have made but can i just say,
as soon as you walk into the street your lungs are being filled with pollution too.
as for paying for us smoking peoples ill health, we also pay for junkies, alcoholics, car crashes blah blah blah.
Final final word the Law continually fails people.
I have said it before but I personally feel there are much bigger things that need to be addressed. Violent crime being one of them.

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #66

Summed up beautifully, Elaine!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
02-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
That "could" happen but it wouldn't be a certainty, as soon as I walk into an environment that contains smoke it immediately effects my health.

And as for seeing "the other side" of the penny? why should I when it is MY health at risk?? If I wanted to slowly kill myself by smoking I would do, however I choose not to, my choice, and me NOT smoking doesn't effect anybody elses health.

Well at the end of the day it IS now banned, like a lot of other things in Law for the good of people, if we didn't have laws to protect people what kind of world would be live in??
Well said Emma, I really can't see the 'other side' of the penny either. Non-smokers need to be protected from smoke in public places, simple as that. Now the government has seen sense to enforce a ban.

Regarding the incme from cigarette taxes. This really is consumed by the amount of money paid out to nurse / treat people suffering/dying from smoking related conditions; Lung cancer and other forms of cancer, COPD, emphesema, etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucySiamese
they are trying to ban everything, like dogs playing off the lead, tail docking, 4x4's, fox hunting ect, it just gets peoples back up at the end of the day!
Long gone are the days I used to enjoy hitching my horse trailer up to my gas guzzling 4x4 and heading out into the countryside, fox hunting and enjoying several ciggies en route This Government has changed my life and in my opinion not for the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
No it doesn't Donna, us non smokers who work WILL be paying for treatment for smokers through our taxes and national insurance payments.
and having paid 20 years of tax and NI myself and hubby who continues to do so, how do I feel that my money has gone and still goes on to support the NHS treat obesity related diseases (High blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes, breathing problems etc etc)?? Visit A&E at this time of night and they'll be rushed off their feet with drink related problems?? Should the Government put a cap on how much we are allowed to drink per night? or indeed refuse to treat us over a certain weight?? It's all bizarre

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #69

As I said previously, I do think we are all going to have to agree to disagree on this one

Catsey Veteran

03-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #70

Amen, Fran; as I said earlier, I think we've all expressed ourselves, haven't changed anyones mind, and I do think it's time to drop this now.........