Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #1

Squirrel lovers..don't read!

As some of you know, I have an ongoing feud with the grey squirrels that dig up my bulbs, eat my tomatoes just before I'm ready to eat them myself and devour my bird seed . Well, still can't come up with any solutions for the former, but my bird seed is now safe...there has been a running series of articles and comments in our newspaper for some time about this; about two weeks ago someone said that sprinkling cayenne pepper on the bird seed would work, as birds have no taste receptors for it, but the nasty little arboreal rodents do. So...was a little aprehensive about trying it as I love the birds and was uncertain if this were true...it is! Have been doing it for about 10 days now, the birds are flocking undisturbed to the feeder and gobbling away; the squirrels hve not been seen once .. not once; whereas I usualy have to run out two or three times an afternoon flailing my arms, yelling and trying to shoo them off (probably making a fool of myself ). I'm happy, the birds are happy and the bird seed goes where it belongs! If the pests are a problem. give this a try...works for me!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #2

Re: Squirrel lovers..don't read!

That's a useful tip!
Apparently burying old-fashioned mothballs (if you can get them) beside your bulbs can discourage the little varmints.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #3

That's a good idea Eileen......we aren't troubled by them in our area thankfully...

It's nice to think you will be able to enjoy seeing your bulbs next year for a change!

Catsey Veteran

17-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
That's a useful tip!
Apparently burying old-fashioned mothballs (if you can get them) beside your bulbs can discourage the little varmints.
"Been there, done that"! Doesn't work on our voracious monsters..!! Appreciate the tip, however!

Catsey Veteran

17-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
That's a good idea Eileen......we aren't troubled by them in our area thankfully...

It's nice to think you will be able to enjoy seeing your bulbs next year for a change!
Regretfully, Mags, that only works on the birdseed! My buddy tried that several years back, dusting them with cayenne before planting, but apparenly enough of it had leached or dissipated by the time they were dug up that it didn't discourage them ..... No hope .....(sigh)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
17-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #6

u just want to borrow my dog ben, no squirrel will come in the garden when hes about, he chases them all day if he could, we have a pair in our communal garden and bens fav hobby is chasing them, he will sit under the tree and wait for them LOL
the cats just sit on the back window sill and make ack ack noises at them LOL

Catsey Veteran

17-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
u just want to borrow my dog ben, no squirrel will come in the garden when hes about, he chases them all day if he could, we have a pair in our communal garden and bens fav hobby is chasing them, he will sit under the tree and wait for them LOL
the cats just sit on the back window sill and make ack ack noises at them LOL
Love that expression "ack ack noises"...all of mine have done that & never knew exactly how to describe it...perfect!