Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
20-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #1

Guinness has been a bit poorly

He started being grumpy on Monday, thats usualy the sign of him being ill. We couldnt take him to the vets on Tuesday because my brother has had an operation on a lump and we where up and down all day we also had to feed his cats(i didnt want you all to think i was ignoring his health). His cystitas has started playing him up again he still is stuck at 9kg. The vet said he could feel it enlarged a tiny bit. He asked us if he has had anything for it apart from his diet food which he hasnt and prescibed Cystease for a month. Does anybody know if this medication will be a on going thing or just when it flares up. In the past he has only had AB's and Diazapan.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #2

Re: Guinness has been a bit poorly

So sorry Guinness is poorly again Jane. Merlin has had urinary problems on and off for years, and apart from the special low pH diet he was on for years, flare-ups were treated like you describe - anti bios and anti inflammatory which calmed the condition very quickly. I have not heard of Cystease and don't know how long it is usually prescribed for. I'm sure someone else will be along soon who will know - failing that perhaps you should phone the surgery and just ask, but maybe it's just a question of seeing how he responds to it first?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #3

Hi, I think cystease can be used long term or short term. Sooty one of my cats has the odd bout of cystitis and the vet said he can get one a day long term if the problem continues- he is on 2 a day at the moment. I assume the vet thinks it is stress related if he is getting diazapan, have you tried a feliway diffuser and you could also try zylkene, which isn't a medication as such, rather than a sedative like diazapan. It may be worth asking your vet anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #4

tomato puree is supposed to help, I had a cat many years ago with the same problem and used to feed sardines in tomato. I think it did help a bit, got into the habit of giving it as a treat once a week or so. No problems with any of my cats since but that could be just coincidence.

Hope he feels better soon.

CM