Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
Chunti is Male
20-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #1

Hoping for the Best, My buddy Big

I wanted to start by saying im a 31 year old guy who has never blogged before about anything. I was on google searching for cat recovery after removing a tumor and came across this site. About 12 years ago i had gotten into some trouble and ended up moving in with my mom who i had not spoken to in about 5 years. When i moved in she had two cats named Big and Geets. I was not the hugest fan of cats at the time but still liked them since i do like all animals. Both the cats were pretty skittish around people they did not know and my mom said it would probably take a little while for them to come out. But that very first night i was laying in my bedroom upset about the way my life was going and i saw the door open just a crack and a little head peak through, it was the male cat named Big who was about 5 at the time. He came into the room and looked at me for a bit before he decided to come and lay down by me. I knew right then that me and him were going to be buddies. For a couple of years from that point on i was going through some tough times where it seemed like he was my only friend...whether it was us wrestling around or just hanging out it seemed he understood and was there for me. Fast Fwd to last weekend...I live with my gf now but still have my room at my moms house and still end up staying there a fair amount and going there to see my buddy Big. Hes been getting older and is not as spry as he used to be. On Sunday my mom told me that he was having trouble walking and collapsed a couple of times. She immediately brought him to the emergency Vets office. The vet told her he needed to run some tests and figure out what the problem was. Unfortunately i was away and not able to see him until today which is Tuesday. They ended up finding out that he had a tumor. My mom asked me what i think she should do...the vet said that he could remove it and that Big could possibly prolong his life. At first I did not know if this was going to be too much for him considering hes now 17 years old. I then thought about how much he has done for me and how much my mom cares for him and decided no matter what the cost he deserves a shot to make it through this. So i went to the vet today to give them a check and to see Big. Ive been through many tough and sad times in my life but for some reason this one really has had an affect on me i did not expect. I walked into where they had him resting in a cage...(a nice one, plenty big). He was laying down sleeping tired from the tests and what not im sure. I walked up to him and sat down on the floor letting him know i was there. He immediately looked up at me and with the limited energy he had stood up and came to the front of the cage where i could pet and talk to him. He started purring and i started petting him under his chin which he loves. I told him he was gonna have to be tough and make it through this hard time in his life as he once did for me those years ago. Like i said ive dealt with a lot...including deaths in my family, but for some reason this was one of the saddest feelings i have ever had. He put his paw through the cage on my face...looking at me as if he was saying why am i in here, please take me home. Right then i felt tears run down my face. So i sat there just trying to comfort him telling him it was gonna be ok. After about 15 mins he laid back down and just looked at me. I told him i loved him and to be strong. I eventually had to leave and it was heartbreaking leaving him there all by himself. I cant stop thinking about how he kept looking at me and how there was nothing i could do. He gets his surgery tomorrow and hopefully it all goes well and he comes through it. So anyone reading this, please put good thoughts out there for him, I just want to see my buddy Big again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

Re: Hoping for the Best, My buddy Big

Hi, thank you for telling us your heartbreaking experience. I think it's the fact that you are totally helpless and unable to do anything for Big which is causing you this pain. But hey - you've come to the right place because we have all, to greater or lesser extents experienced some of the pain you are feeling.

I will have everything crossed for your dear cat in the hope that he makes a full recovery and gets to spend many more happy years with you and your Mum.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
20-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

I empathise with you a lot - my best feline friend died as a result of an inoperable tumour last year and it was the most painful thing that I have experienced.

I'm so glad that you've had a cat touch your life, it's amazing how they can effect us in so many ways. Your caring for Big is so wonderfully obvious, I hope both him and you the best of luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #4

Dear lord, that broke my heart
I wish both you and Big all the very best and will be thinking of him and sending strong healing vibes for a full recovery. xxx
All my love and best wishes.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
20-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #5

Chunti, I'm so sorry to hear of your distress at being seperated from Big and his being at the vet's. I do hope he pulls through ok, and the two of you get lots more happy times together. From your post you really tell you love that boy; me and my boys send lots of good wishes and hugs to you both x x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #6

That's a really heartwarming story Chunti. I am sending "get well" vibes for Big - do so hope the operation goes well. Please let us know how he gets on. (((HUGS))) for you too at this very stressful time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
20-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #7

Thank you for sharing that story - it was very sweet Cats are good companions.
Unlimited get well vibes for your buddy Big - hope his operation goes good & hope he heals quickly... Please keep us all updated on how Big is doing

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #8

I am really sorry and hope for the best for Big.

(was this originally a duplicate post?)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #9

Hope it all works out for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #10

Such a moving story. Fingers crossed here and sending lots of healing vibes for Big ((hugs))