Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #1

Smelly cat!!!!Help

Hi everyone, haven't been on for ages, moved house and bt couldn't get their act together regarding broadband!!!!! Any way Echo has a slight problem regarding a very smelly bottom!! It's clean and she's not got runny poo's but her bottom stinks, if she sits on me i can smell it on my clothes and everything, any suggestions, do i bathe her rear end or is there a special spray i can put on her, poor thing is starting to get a complex coz we stand up whenever we see her so she doesn't sit on us!Bless her!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #2

Re: Smelly cat!!!!Help

no idea if I'm talking mince here but this happened to my dog and she had an infection in her anal gland - never heard of cats with this problem but . . . . . . ?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #3

oh thanks, could get it checked out

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #4

I definitely would Juli - poor Echo! and poor you not wanting to give her a lovely cuddle!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #5

Juli, that suggestion about anal glands does sound likely. Here's a link that might be helpful......

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/analglands.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #6

Yes, I'd concur with the anal gland theory. I've heard this can result in an uncomfortable and smelly rear end. Maybe the vet can check it out? Poor Echo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

A couple of my cats have had anal gland problems, it is more common in older cats, both are arthritic so maybe that has something to do with it. The vet sqeezed the glands and they were fine, although Spice needed them done a few weeks later. The vet showed me how to do it and if she seems a bit whiffy I give them a squeeze, no problems since. It is best to get them seen to though as an infection can set in.