Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
17-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

Darcy & Stravinsky

Hi everyone,

I've been away from the boards for a while as things have been pretty stressful. My partner and I (we live together) are moving out and splitting up. It all happened quite suddenly, and relatively amiably, but was still very stressful. I lost my appetite, lost weight and was feeling very low but am starting to get back on track.

In my search to find a new flat (either alone or flat sharing) it was nigh on impossible to find somewhere in budget that allowed pets.

As such, Darcy and Stravinsky have been taken back by the Cat Protection League. They were taken last night. It broke my heart to see them taken away, both OH and I were very upset. Darcy hid under the bed as soon as the lady arrived, which is completely out of character as he's such a friendly wee thing. I managed to coax him out eventually and he looked at me with such trusting eyes and let me pick him up and hold him but wasn't purring and then went into the carrier without a fight, still trusting me. I felt like such a betrayer to then give them to the lady to take to their foster home. Stravinsky was a bit more akward, and hissed a wee bit but was quiet when he was in his box.

I didn't make this decision lightly and am devastated I've had to give them up. But I know the CP will find the right home for them; the lady mentioned a potential home in a quiet suburban area with outdoor access which made me smile as I think Stravinsky would be an excellent hunter and they both enjoy watching and prrping at the birds outside the windows. They'll be happier with outdoor access I think.

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble. I just wanted to update everyone. Please don't think badly that I've had to give them up; I did take them on with the intention of giving them a forever home, and never thought this would happen.

It was so quiet this morning, and the flat felt very empty. I do miss them but am happy to know they'll soon find their real forever home.

I hope everyone, and their feline furry friends, are well. Please give them all a hug, kiss and chin tickle for me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Re: Darcy & Stravinsky

I suspected there might have been something up with the relationship - not sure why, maybe more of what you didn't say than what you did (if you know what I mean ). I'm so very sorry about that. It's always very traumatic and disruptive however amicable the split.

But I'm equally sorry to hear that you had to give up your beloved twosome. I think I would find that almost as hard to deal with as the relationship break up. I'm made me quite tearful reading your account of their leaving

I'm sure they'll have a lovely future home - and I hope that you'll stick around with us even though sadly, Darcy and Stravinsky are no longer with you.

Lots of love and hugs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
17-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

That also brought trears to my eyes.
They will love being able to go outside and explore.

Almost a Veteran Member

17-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #4

Thank you Yola and Janey. Reading my post over it seems quite cold, not very gushing. I'm just trying to remain composed and positive; everyone has their own grieving process and mine always seems to be quite passive, pensive and musing.

Yola, there were a few problems in the relationship for quite some time. But I don't regret having lived together. It's just I suddenly realised how young I am (as an adult) at 23 and how much of life I have stretched out in front of me and I didn't want to be settled yet. We still get on as friends and have great respect for each other. We consoled each other last night over the boys being taken away. But I am looking forward to being young, single and independent.

I just can't shake off the image in my mind of Darcy's wide-eyed look when he was slowly edging out from under the bed and meeping at my for comfort, and he allowed me to pick him up. Since the day we had them, they never once hissed, scratched or bit us. They were truly two of the most beautiful, handsome, friendly and amusing cats I've ever met. I felt so lucky to have had them, if only for a short while. I do love them so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

((hugs)) so sorry for all that's happened meep. You take care of yourself and I bet your babies will be found wonderful new homes xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #6

meep - I am so sorry to read this. It is good that you are both able to remain friends and be there for each other over the loss of your special boys.

Hope life becomes what you are looking for and I wish you all you wish for yourself.

Don't be a stranger to us here at catsey.

Almost a Veteran Member

17-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

Thanks alexgirl and calismum. I am comforted by the thought that they'll find a forever home soon. I just hope someone helps Stravinsky come out of his shell like we did. When we first got them we were told he was shy and never affectionate; he was at first but then 2 months in he slowly began to trust him and eventually was on our laps, yowling every time I disappeared into the bathroom for a shower and following us around with his ball in his mouth.

I'll definately still pop onto Catsey to keep in touch. I've really been so scattered the past few weeks; sorry if I've missed any news or big events. I see Angie has a new Kizzy kitty? Her photo made me smile

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #8

I'm so sorry to read that things haven't worked out for you Meep.

Also sorry that you have to give up your two lovely boys ........ Cat's Protection will do their best to find the right home for them.

Please continue to pop onto Catsey to let us know how you are getting on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

I am very sorry to hear about your troubles meep. I knew something must be wrong. I have to be honest and say I am sorrier about you having to give Darcy and Minsky up - I will always remember those lovely boys and the funny stories youu told about them. I am sure that CP will find them a good home and you are right, they will probably love to be allowed outside. I am glad about all those lovely photos you have posted of the brothers and the fact that I have some on my screensaver.

Yes, I do have a new cat - Kizzy. I felt bereft after Merlin went. Kizzy is a little girl that came from Smudgley's branch of CP. We went up to Birmingham last Sunday to collect her. She is a complete darling.

Please don't forget that we are here - I for one would really like to hear from you when you feel able. I do hope you find somewhere good to live and enjoy your new life - onwards and upwards!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #10

I can only echo what angie has posted straight above here meep.
I'm really sorry about the anguish of the break up but, although I understand that you will be hurting a lot about the lovely cats, I think you have done just the right thing for them.
Take care of yourself; be good to yourself and come back and chat to us won't you? We miss your lovely long chatty posts ... and the book club is slowly sinking in the west!
Take care x